|Title:Youth Livelihoods Team Leader1 Position||Location:Mogadishu,Somalia with regional travel to other locations.||Duration:10-months consultant/ Full Time (Renewable)|
Growth, Enterprise, Employment & Livelihoods (GEEL) is USAID-funded project designed to promote and facilitate inclusive economic growth in Somalia. The project is currently focusing on the agricultural sector (livestock, fisheries & horticulture) with particular and increased focus on integration of youth and women in the value chains with emphasis on expanding and incentivizing youth led enterprises through skills development and enterprise and workforce development.
The Youth Livelihoods Team Leader will be responsible for guidance and strategic leadership to coordinate and executeGEEL youth-related activities. This position will work with the GEEL project Senior Management Team (SMT) and will collaborate with staff underGEEL Task Order (TO) 1 and 2 and Task Orders 4. The Youth Team Lead will supervise the day-to-day activities implemented by the youth team and will work to ensure overall project performance, management, and all project deliverables adhere within budget and compliance.
S/He will coordinate closely with the teams in Hargeisa, Mogadishu, and other regions of GEEL youth programming. A general understanding of the GEEL technical activities is required, and a background in a relevant technical area is highly desired.
This Youth Technical Team Leader will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Provide technical and leadership role of the Task Order on youth enterprise development
- Provide thought leadership and strategic direction in the field of youth economic empowerment
- Lead planning, oversight, and coordination of all project activities and personnel, operational and technical.
- Assist in the development of standard tools and practices to support the youth enterprise activities in the project.
- Provide coaching, direction, and leadership to team members in order to achieve results, including overall management, coordination and quality monitoring of GEEL team’s input and work content.
- Utilize expertise in youth programs to provide coaching and direction to the youth enterprises
- Collaborate with GEEL M&E teams to establish standard indicators for youth economic empowerment outputs and outcomes, as well as pragmatic approaches to data collection.
- Provide strategic guidance and counseling to the GEEL regional teams on youth economic empowerment approaches and priorities
- Build GEEL country team capacity for youth economic empowerment, including regular visits to the field to support implementation, ensure quality control and identify areas of weakness and opportunities for adaptation
- Lead the GEEL team’s effort to understand and contribute to the resolution of challenges the project faces—such as, devising approaches to create interest in agriculture for youth and facilitating youth access to finance
- Ensures all project targets are met, deliverables exceed expectations, and activities are managed within the budget
- Link and establish relationships with youth representatives as well as relevant stakeholders including government ministries, private sector companies, NGOs, business associations, and civil society organizations.
- Ensure that best practices and lessonslearned from project implementation are documented, disseminated internally for decision-making and externally, as appropriate to drive awareness of GEEL youth learnings/impact.
- Manage performance of team members through the establishment of annual goals in line with the project objectives work plans, monitoring performance against those goals, providing feedback on an ongoing basis and delivery of annual performance appraisals.
The Youth Livelihoods Team Leader will report to and be supervised by the GEEL Chief of Party. S/He will be supported by a team of technical sector leaders and specialists.
Master’s degree in economics, social science, international development, Business Administration or Similar discipline. bachelor’s degree required in relevant field.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant progressive work experience, out of which 3 years in senior managerial positions in complex and fragile contexts.
- Prior experience in Youth, livelihoods, or humanitarian assistance programming in Somalia and the Horn of Africa, including aspects in improving Youth, marketing, investment, financing, training, processing/operations and/or management.
- Experience in project management in delivering targets and results in conflict, challenging and difficult situations.
- Prior demonstrated experience in developing partnership with both private and public actors as part of program implementation in achieving projects desired goals.
- Experience in leading and motivating multi-disciplinary team
- Demonstrated understanding of trends/approaches/innovations in the youth economic empowerment space.
- Ability to become a thought leader in the field
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills
- Ability to develop and deliver cohesive analyses and reports
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships in the youth economic empowerment space
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations
- Have strong communication skills with fluency in English. Somali language is an advantage
- Ability and willingness to travel as required throughout Somalia
How to apply:
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements can submit updated CV and cover letter to Jobs@sogeel.org with subject line specifically indicating location: Application for Youth Livelihoods Team Leader –Mogadishu, Somalia.Deadline: by Thursday 30, January 2020.