NRC has been active in Somalia since 2004 with four area offices in Kismayu, Mogadishu, Garowe and Hargeisa, providing protection and humanitarian assistance to refugees, internally displaced persons and returnees in Somaliland, Puntland, South Central and Jubbaland regions. NRC offers a comprehensive response for returnees and IDPs of high need, addressing their food security, livelihood, shelter, education, ICLA, and water, hygiene and sanitation needs and also responding to emergencies through NRC’s five core competences; Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihoods, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
NRC Somalia is part of NRC’s East Africa and Yemen regional operation which comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across nine countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Yemen, Eritrea, South Sudan, Uganda and Tanzania). NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to enhance protection and promote the rights of displaced people in humanitarian need by improving living conditions and seeking durable solutions. The regional office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The purpose of a Team Leader is to ensure timely and high quality implementation of the WASH CC activities, monitor the budget and manage WASH CC project team at area office level.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline.
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Duties and responsibilities
- Management of project staff ensuring they remain dedicated and are enabled to deliver quality WASH programme
- Prepare detailed Implement plan of action for WASH CC projects activities, budget and project documentation
- Day to day follow of progress and quality control for WASH CC implementation
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies and procedures and CC tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Ensure proper targeting for WASH CC interventions, assess needs and explore better ways to assist those in highest needs.
- Seek opportunities and promote implementation of innovative projects, consistently document and share learnings for technical improvement
- Prepare periodic progress reports and other WASH related documents
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Coordinate and manage all WASH activities including construction of assigned water and sanitation infrastructure by providing instructions and site supervision to partners, contractors and/or local labour
- Explore opportunities for innovative WASH projects, support in design, implementation and documenting lessons learnt.
Conduct water quality testing, analysis and treatment of sources as required. This will include promotion of household water treatment and reporting
- Mobilize communities and community leaders for the building materials, construction activities and maintenance of structures
- Prepare technical designs, BoQs, tender documents and supervise contractors.
- Monitor and report on the WASH project activities and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standard
- Ensures that standards and specifications for works and materials deliveries are adhered to and gives recommendation(s) to the management as necessary, including certification of completed works for payments
- Participate in the strategic planning and drafting proposals of WASH CCs, including the community approaches and the budgets associated with them
- Assist in planning for project implementation including technical activity, financial and procurement planning
Assist in development and design of new WASH projects in Jubaland
Coordinate the WASH activities being carried out by NRC in the Jubaland field offices
Ensure that all project activities are in accordance with budgetary constraints and being implemented on schedule
Participate in tendering and bid analysis for contracts for service delivery and materials
Participate in NRC construction quality assurance and reports validation
Ensure implementation of beneficiaries training sessions in care and maintenance for the latrines and shelters
Ensure documentation of project progress is ongoing and integrate sound M&E procedures in all aspects of the WASH projects
Prepare periodic reports on the WASH project activities, including documentation for final handover and closure of projects
Represent NRC at relevant theme cluster and other coordination meetings including wash sub clusters
Assist in developing any required rapid response and contingency plans related to WASH
Maintain integration and coordination of activities with other CCs and other similar actions of other actors
As requested, assist the Project Manager/ Area Manager on other WASH Project tasks.
Any other assignment as may be required by the WASH Manager/Area Manager
- Degree in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering, Geology or any related discipline.
- Extensive experience may substitute for specific qualifications but not vice versa
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, WaterCAD or any civil works design software is highly desirable
- Experience from working with WASH projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of English and local Language-Somali
- Knowledge of the context in South and Central Somalia
- Experience in submersible pumps and generator installations
- Experience in construction of water and sanitation infrastructure
- Experience in undertaking hydro-geological surveys and borehole drilling supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and representation skills
- Strong computer application skills
- Strong analytical skills Political and cultural awareness
- Goal oriented with ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
We can offer
Contract period: one year – with possibility of extension
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Kismayo
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
How to Apply: The Application will be done Online. Click here to visit NRC Website and Apply