WASH Intern (2) – (2000008K)
WASH Intern (2) -Mogadishu- Somali Nationals Only
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: WASH Officer
Country Dimensions: Save the Children has been working in Somalia for more than 60 years. The Country Office has over 500 staff across 14 field offices (Boroma, Burao and Hargeisa in Somaliland; Bosasso, Garowe, Galkayo and Gardo in Puntland; Beletweyne, Adaado, Abudwak, Baidoa, Kismayo, Dhobley and Mogadishu in Central South Somalia). Our Country Office coordination and administration base is in Nairobi, Kenya. In 2017, as a result of significant scale up for the countrywide drought response, our annual spend FY2017 was US$117 million and we reached more than 2 million people through our humanitarian and longer term development work in Health, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Education, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Child Protection and Child Rights Governance. The Country Office manages 61 active awards totalling US$165 million from a range of governmental/institutional donors, including DFID, ECHO, EU, FFP, OFDA, and DANIDA being some of our largest.
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of secondary education or equivalent technical or training in Public Health, Community Health or community development
- Excellent communication skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Commitment to the aims and principles of In particular, a good understanding of the SCUK mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Computer literateDesirable
- Knowledge of the operating context in Mogadisho
- Experience of and ability to represent SCI work in external meetings.
- Knowledge of Somali language and its different dialects
- Experience of community mobilisations, distributions and hygiene promotion
- Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands-on implementation capacity
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible, working away from home, and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Influencing skills and experience in advocacy.
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Application will be closed on 20th January 2020.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents