Country of Assignment: Somalia
Host Institute: United Nations Population Fund
Volunteer Category: National Youth
Number of Volunteer: 1
Duration 12 months
Expected Starting Date Immediate
Duty Station Garoowe [SOM]
Assignment Place Non-Family Duty station
UNV Youth project officer will Support youth in planning and organizing appropriate youth and community activities; Support the implementation of Youth program activities and ensure that services are delivered
on time, on budget and in compliance with donor regulations; Ensure that Youth Program partners; management and field staff understand the technical requirements for project implementation.
The United Nations Population Fund is the United Nations sexual reproductive health agency. Our Mission is to deliver a world where every pregnancy is wanted,every childbirth is safe and every young person’s
potential is fulfilled. UNFPA Somalia Garowe office works on the following thematic areas:
Maternal and reproductive health: Increase the national capacity to deliver comprehensive material and reproductive health services,including in humanitarian setting;
Adolescents and Youth: Increase the capacity of partners to design and implement comprehensiveprogrammes to reach marginalized youth,including adolescent girls at rsik of child marriage
Gender Equality and Women Empowerment: Increase the capacity of partners to provide services to survivors of GBV,to prevent gender-based violence and harmful practices, and to promote reproductive rights and women empowerement,including in humanitarian settings;
Population and Development: Strengthened national capacity for production, dissemination, and use of highquality disaggregated data on population, development, and sexual and reproductive health issues
that allows for mapping of demographic disparities and socio-economic inequalities, and for programming in humanitarian settings.
It is in this context,UNFPA Somalia is seeking to recruit a National UNV Project Officer to provide overall support to UNFPA Somalia Youth Programme.
Under the Overall supervision of the Gender and Youth Specialist the national UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Review the political, social and economic environment relevant to Youth/Adolescent reproductive health/HIV, and pursues opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention. Assesses implications of new policy developments and strategies on programme execution and ensures appropriate implementation
- Support the design and organization required for assessments, baselines and evaluations, particularly in regards to needs to the Youth Programs partners team, and participate where possible
- Support the implementation of Youth program activities and ensure that services are delivered on time, on budget and in compliance with donor regulations
- Ensure that Youth Program partners management and field staff understand the technical requirements for project implementation
Ensure that the Youth programs are implemented in ways responsive to communities, partners and youths in line with UNFPA principles, values and procedures
- Work with the Youth Program partner staff to develop work-plans and follow up actions to ensure that activities are on track.
- Work closely with monitoring teams to monitor program progress against both programmatic and budgetary targets, making adjustments to programme design where necessary
- Support partners to prepare timely and high quality programme and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal UNV requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Ensure appropriate, timely and accurate data collection against agreed indicators to enable both internal and external reporting
- Liaise and consult with IDP communities, refugee communities and relevant organisations about the needs of refugee young people, identify gaps in services and advocate for the development of appropriate services to address those needs.
- Proactively engage with young youth to strengthen youth networks to actively lobby and advocate for participation in decision making regarding issues that affect then in Puntland
- Support youth in planning and organizing appropriate youth and community events meant to make their voices heard by the powerholders
- Bachelor Degree
- 12 Month Experience: Previous experience working as a volunteer or internship with any community or organisation. Experience working in Somalia would be highly regarded.
- English (Mandatory) , Level – Fluent
- AND – Somali (Mandatory) , Level – Fluent
Area of Expertise
- Youth and sports Mandatory
- Community participation and development Optional
- Gender equality and the advancement of women Mandatory
Area of Expertise Requirement
- Project management, development studies, international relations; youth and gender mainstreaming.
HOW TO APPLY
Application Code SOMR000476-5444
Application Procedure: Online (https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup)
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on
the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call
to which you would like to.