The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose ICRC exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
About the Job
The translator supports the ICRC communicate clearly and consistently by providing translation services from English into Somali and editing services in Somali.
This is a resident/national position based in Mogadishu, Somalia.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Translates from English into Somali and occasionally from Somali to English and edits in Somali a wide range of ICRC documents and other texts, within agreed deadlines, ensuring high quality and appropriate terminology
- Supports other departments within the organization on linguistic matters
- Uses and suggests updates to terminology tools
- Supports communication related training/coaching for staff of field structures and other departments
- Organizes briefings, dissemination sessions, workshops, seminars and public relations events
- Elaborates written reports and contributes to the internal reporting system
Minimum qualifications and required competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Science or an equivalent qualification in a related field of study
- At least 3 years’ experience in providing translation services, English to Somali / Somali to English
- Multiple translation assignments in the field of law or humanitarian assistance and protection are an asset
- Strong facilitation and presentation
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali language
- Proficiency in MS Office and familiarity with digital communication tools
- Good knowledge of the political, social and media environment in Somalia
- A challenging job opportunity within a dynamic work environment in an international humanitarian organization
- Training and development opportunities
- A competitive salary with benefits, based on the ICRC Compensation and Benefits framework
How to apply
Apply by sending your complete application file to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to the Human Resources Manager, ICRC Somalia Delegation. The complete application file needs to include: cover letter, updated CV, 3 samples of your translated material, names and contact details for 3 references to whom you have provided translation services. Your cover letter must indicate your current salary and your expected salary range.
The closing date is 20th May 2020. Clearly indicate the position title in the subject line of your email message.
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Any enquiries about the position should be addressed to email@example.com.