In August 2018, the Federal Government of Somalia’s application for an Education Sector Program Implementation Grant (ESPIG) was approved by the GPE Board of Directors for a three-year implementation period. One of the key component of the education sector implementation grant is to realize Increased equitable access to quality primary education for out-of-school children. To achieve this component, the project will focus on school capitation grant with a target of 690 schools in four Federal Member States (South West, Juballand, Hirshabelle and Galmudug state) plus Banaadir Region. Other components of the project are also to realize enhanced quality of primary education to ensure grade appropriate learning, enhanced capacity at Federal and Member State levels to manage, monitor and regulate the education sector, and program management, accountability and communication.
The regional focal point is expected to work on the implementation of all activities related to the GPE funded grants managed under the two Grant Agents: CARE and Save the Children.
The regional focal point will be tasked with the following activities:
- Taking a leading role in the implementation of the ESPIG program activities in the federal member states as per the program implementation guidelines. **
- Conducting regular visits to schools, ensuring that the schools selected for school capitation grants are in line with school grants guidelines as well as the program manual. **
- Support the capacity building of the Community Education Committees (CECs) of the target schools and provision of school capitation grants as per the school grant guidelines/manual.
- Supporting the schools to develop school improvement plans (SIPs) which reflect the actual school’s needs on the ground. **
- Ensure that the schools are meeting the minimum grants disbursement requirement as outlined in the grant’s guidelines such as approved SIPs, budgets, records for school students ets. **
- Working with state ministry of education on school readiness for grants. **
- Ensure that school capitation grants are utilized by the schools in line with the grants guidelines. **
- Provide weekly updates on the progression of schools’ readiness for capitation grants. **
- In close coordination with ministry of education at state level, ensure that school monitoring and supervision is conducted on regular basis verifying how schools are utilizing the different program interventions such as student textbooks distributed. **
- Oversee and support the school construction and renovation activities in the ESPIG program. **
- Take an active role in the implementation of the Grade 8 examinations at the state level. **
- Oversee early childhood subsector activities in the ESPIG program. **
- Facilitate district and School-level Safety Dialogues that will take place at the states.**
- Visit other project sites such as TTI construction site and ensure progress of activities. **
- Facilitate the project midterm and end line evaluations by providing the necessary support to the third party that will conduct the project evaluations. **
- Participate and play active role in conducting of Minimum Learning Assessment (modified EGRA/EGMA) for Grade 3 Somali & Mathematics. **
- Work with the quality assurance officers and REO to ensure that timely school monitoring is done. **
- Ensure compliances related to ESPIG program activities at the field level. **
Academic /experience requirement
- Degree in education most preferable but other academic disciplines such as business, economics, public administration will also be considered.
- Experience in the local context specifically at the state level is a must.
- Two years’ experience in working in education programs most preferably with either government or international NGOs.
Documents to be submitted
- Updated CV with three references.
- Cover letter indication your interest in this vacancy.
The role of ESPIG regional focal point will be covered the whole state and based in Jowhar town with frequent travel to other major towns/ villages in the Hirshabelle state.
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to send their Application letter, CV and academic & professional certificates as a single document to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00am 15-July-2020 indicating “Application for regional focal point Hirshabelle as subject line. Late applications will not be considered.