In August 2018, the Federal Government of Somalia’s application for an Education Sector Program Implementation Grant (ESPIG) was approved by the GPE Board of Directors for a three-year implementation period. One of the key component of the education sector implementation grant is to realize Increased equitable access to quality primary education for out-of-school children. To achieve this component, the project will focus on school capitation grant with a target of 690 schools in four Federal Member States (South West, Jubbaland, Hirshabelle and Galmudug state) plus Benadir Region. Other components of the project are also to realize enhanced quality of primary education to ensure grade appropriate learning, enhanced capacity at Federal and Member State levels to manage, monitor and regulate the education sector, and program management, accountability and communication.
The regional focal points are expected to work on the implementation of all activities related to the GPE funded grants managed under the two Grant Agents: CARE and Save the Children.
The regional focal points will be tasked with the following activities:
- Taking a leading role in the implementation of the ESPIG program activities in the federal member states as per the program implementation guidelines.
- Conducting regular visits to schools, ensuring that the schools selected for school capitation grants are in line with school grants guidelines as well as the program manual.
- Support the capacity building of the Community Education Committees (CECs) of the target schools and provision of school capitation grants as per the school grant guidelines/manual.
- Supporting the schools to develop school improvement plans (SIPs) which reflect the actual school’s needs on the ground.
- Ensure that the schools are meeting the minimum grants disbursement requirement as outlined in the grant’s guidelines such as approved SIPs, budgets, records for school students ets.
- Working with state ministry of education on school readiness for grants.
- Ensure that school capitation grants are utilized by the schools in line with the grants guidelines.
- Provide weekly updates on the progression of schools’ readiness for capitation grants.
- In close coordination with ministry of education at state level, ensure that school monitoring and supervision is conducted on regular basis verifying how schools are utilizing the different program interventions such as student textbooks distributed.
- Oversee and support the school construction and renovation activities in the ESPIG program.
- Take an active role in the implementation of the Grade 8 examinations at the state level.
- Oversee early childhood sub sector activities in the ESPIG program.
- Facilitate district and School-level Safety Dialogues that will take place at the states.
- Visit other project sites such as TTI construction site and ensure progress of activities.
- Facilitate the project midterm and end line evaluations by providing the necessary support to the third party that will conduct the project evaluations.
- Participate and play active role in conducting of Minimum Learning Assessment (modified EGRA/EGMA) for Grade 3 Somali & Mathematics.
- Work with the quality assurance officers and REO to ensure that timely school monitoring is done.
- Ensure compliance related to ESPIG program activities at the field level.
Academic /experience requirement
- Degree in education most preferable but other academic disciplines such as business, economics, public administration will also be considered.
- Experience in the local context specifically at the state level is a must.
- Two years’ experience in working in education programs most preferably with either government or international NGOs.
Documents to be submitted
- Updated CV with three references.
- Cover letter indication your interest in this vacancy.
Candidates are requested to be specific about which post and in which state they are applying for. Please apply for the state you are most familiar with as you will be required to travel extensively to towns/villages.
The role of ESPIG regional focal point will be to cover the state for which they are selected and will be posted in the following towns.
- Dhusamareeb town with frequent travel to other major towns/ villages in the Galmudug state
- Johwar town with frequent travel to other major towns/ villages in the Hirshabelle state
- Baido town with frequent travel to other major towns/ villages in South West state
- Kismayo town with frequent travel to other major towns/ villages in Juba Land state
Interested candidates are requested to send their Application letter, CV and academic & professional certificates as a single document to the email address email@example.com by 5:00am 18-Jan-2020 indicating “Application for regional focal points as subject line. Late applications will not be considered.