Ministry of finance and economic development
|Job Title:||Tax Collection Officer|
|Department:||Revenue Authority Department|
|Ministry:||Ministry of Finance|
|Reporting to:||Revenue Director|
|Grade level :||6|
|Location:||Dhusamareb, Galmudug, Somalia.|
- Purpose of the position
This position is an operational position within the Revenue Authority of the Ministry of Finance. It has the responsibility for collecting revenue from taxpayers, carrying out procedures to recover arrears, communicating with taxpayers and managing the conduct and activities of collection agents.
Duties include receiving tax payments, entering receipts and other data into the Revenue Management system (RMS), delivering reminders and demand notices to delinquent taxpayers, assisting large taxpayers to comply with laws and regulations, meeting with taxation collection agents, ensuring that they comply with regulations and the code of conduct, and ensuring that their collections are properly remitted to the treasury single account.
- Responsibilities & Duties
Taxation Officer, Tax collections will work as part of the revenue administration team to:
- Receive and document tax payments.
- Operate and manage a cashier’s office.
- Operate the RMS system to record and acknowledge revenue receipts.
- Communicate with large taxpayers to assist them to comply with the legislation.
- Deliver reminders and demand notices to delinquent taxpayers, and assist the director and legal team to negotiate payment terms in event of default.
- With the approval of the director, open cases to prosecute non-filing or delinquent taxpayers, and close them once completed.
- Communicate with collecting agents, to ensure that they are properly registered, receive the requisite training and updating, that they comply with regulations and codes of conduct and that they remit their receipts in the proper way.
- Ensure that all relevant legislation, procedures and policies are in place and adhered to.
- Pro-actively monitor revenue collection performance, and compile periodic reports for management.
- Support the other members of the revenue team as needed to deal with busy periods or backlogs.
- Qualifications and Training
- Associate Degree in Business Administration/Accounting, Economics, Banking and finance or related field- essential
- Basic sound public financial management skills.- Important
- Training and experience in taxation and tax collecting. essential
- Computer literacy, familiarity with word processing, internet, and excel.- Important
- Learned Discipline
- Understanding of the taxation, revenue collecting procedures and practices
- Understanding of debt collection procedures.
- Ability to engage with and manage tax collecting agents.
- Ability to present revenue data using visual and graphic means.
- Ability to plan and undertake investigations and audits.
- Basic knowledge of public service functions and practices.
- Basic knowledge of computerised accounting systems. (Bisan FMS and RMS)
- Knowledge of the local community and able to communicate in local languages.
- Ability to collate and analyse often complex information.
- Ability to disseminate detailed information in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Tactful and polite with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent listening and questioning skills
- Ability to present information in a clear and logical way
- Honest and fair in applying the rules
- Excellent numeracy skills, with the ability to interpret accounts and make calculations.
- Ability to work accurately, pay close attention to detail and notice inconsistencies.
- Ability to be firm and assertive when required by circumstances.
- Ability to communicate well both orally and in writing.
- Ability to plan and organize work, including special assignments in order to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to be proactive and work unsupervised
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work well in a team environment
- Required Experience
The position requires at least 2 years experience as a tax collector or related experience.
- Performance Criteria
The incumbent is deemed to be performing his duties effectively when:
- Targets regarding the collection of revenues and the recovery of arrears are met.
- Cases assigned by the director are resolved and closed,
- The revenue team is provided with information and reports which helps them achieve their targets.
- Regular reports are disseminated to Ministries, Departments and senior managements and are accurate, timely.
- Requests for information and support from the revenue team are responded to effectively.
- Funds remitted are properly recorded using the RMS and FMIS systems.
- IGA legislation, rules, policies and guidelines are adhered to in the performance of duties
HOW TO APPLY:
Please download Application Form: Application form
Interested candidates who meet the criteria are encouraged to fill the form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org, kindly indicate the position title and the Ministry/Institution on the subject line when you applying.
Female Candidates are strongly encouraged.
The selection process will begin as soon as possible after the closing date. Selected candidates will be invited to written Exam and an interview