TERMS OF REFERENCE
(TAILOR-MADE APPRENTICESHIP –KTI Roads Graduates)
LABOUR BASED ROAD TECHNOLOGY TRAINING FOR KISMAYU TECHNICAL INSTITUTE-TVET GRADUATES-SOMALIA
PROJECT: TVET and Higher Education for Boosting Road Infrastructure Development and Growth of Energy Services (THE BRIDGES) Project
CARE Somalia/Somaliland received funding from the European Union to improve technical skills of the youth of roads and energy service sectors. The Overall objective of the project is to promote economic growth through infrastructure development, employment creation and sustainable natural resources management. The Specific objective is to improve access to markets and social services, improve access to energy services and enhance sustainable use of natural resources through an increased availability of skilled human resources for Somalia/Somaliland’s road and energy sectors.
The TVET and Higher Education for Boosting Road Infrastructure Development and Growth of Energy Services (THE BRIDGES) project aims to support the Government of Somalia/Somaliland plans to enhance inclusive economic growth and reduce poverty. The project will assist in the development of high quality skills both for gainful employment and sustainable economic development. In order to meet labour demands in road infrastructure and energy sectors, the project aims to strengthening TVET and higher education (HE) to make them of high quality and responsive to the changing market situations in the selected priority sectors of the economy.
Given the increasingly dynamic employment market, the project supports the introduction of a private sector–led and a high quality competency–based skills development approach facilitated by innovate and integrated internationally bench–marked frameworks, to increase the relevance of the skills training offered and to ensure an optimal absorption of the (new) skilled workforce into the labour market.
To attain these objectives, first national and local capacities in the design, management and implementation of skills development and employment promotion program in TVET and HE linked to the road infrastructure and energy services must be strengthened and training qualifications need to be brought to a higher quality and existing frameworks need to be aligned with standardized norms. This will attribute to realizing Result 1 of the project: Increased equitable access to private sector-led and competence-based skills development opportunities linked to road infrastructure and energy services for youth.
The formal acquisition of skills, knowledge and training only at institute level has been found inadequate for preparing trainees to meet the requirements of industry and the job market. The action seeks to address possible mismatch between the skills acquired from training institutes and those required at the work place. This will be achieved by fostering sustained engagement of employers with training providers and ensuring that all trainees are accorded sufficient exposure to the workplace. The planned interventions under this activity include the following sub-activities:
Developing linkages between the industry and training providers is an essential part of the project’s strategy. The action promotes cooperation and sustained partnership between employers and the training institutions. The activity will be led by CARE but handed over to the targeted institutions themselves, as building sustainable relationships is critical to the sustainability of the project and an essential element of the capacity building of institutions.
As a departure from the traditional and conventional way of planning where internship is placed at the end of training programs, the action is piloting an approach where the training alternates between both classroom and workplace. In this way, concepts learnt in the classroom are immediately practiced at the work place under the guidance of experienced workers and supervisors. The methodology is designed to enable the trainee to acquire both the skills needed to perform the job and the actual work experience simultaneously during the training period. This dual training approach is expected to produce skilled and “job-ready” graduates. The apprenticeship period was initially designed to last between 3–6 months which would be spread over the training duration. .
Against the above background. In the absence of a private sector led player in road construction in Kismayu- Jubaland, the consultant(s) will support the tailor made labour based technology construction for 14 days to help the TVET graduates gain practical knowledge. This will comprehend the initially planned apprenticeship that would have rather been missed out by the graduates. The training will also be supported by the current master of trainers at KTI.
In the above context, the work in “TVET and Higher Education for Boosting Road Infrastructure Development and Growth of Energy Services (THE BRIDGES) Project” has planned to select and hire a competent and experienced training Consultant(s) to undertake the assignment as per the TOR.
Objective of the Assignment
The objective of the assignment is to have qualified competent Based TVET graduates with a tailor made apprenticeship in Kismayo Technical Institute.
· The consultant is expected to travel to Kismayu Somalia where the training will take place.
· Develop the Tailor-made practical content that will give the TVET Road Graduates an opportunity to realize the practicalities of the acquired skills
· Develop a list of all the training hand tools/equipment prior to the assignment.
· Facilitate the Labour Based Road Technology practical sessions during the training, ensuring full participation of the trainees
· Prepare a training delivery schedule with full itinerary of the activities;
· Deliver intensive practical training for the trainees that is competence based
· Work together with the TVET Instructors during the training sessions
· Together with the Instructors and field supervisors, assess the trainees using the Assessment tools provided for apprenticeship.
· Ensure trainees use their log books to document all the activities learned during the practical sessions.
· Prepare and submit a comprehensive, well-structured report of the tailor made apprenticeship.
· Prepare and submit the training reports for the LBRT-Tailor Made Short Apprenticeship, and also
· Submit the final training documents (manuals and, instructional materials, group work exercise etc.) and documentation.
The consultant is expected to deliver through competence based practical hands-on training the following key road construction execution procedures that the TVET trainees shall appreciate and apply during employment and private business. Demonstrations in other deliverables will be very import
▪ Setting out; horizontal alignments, manual and other methods
▪ Earthworks: Cut to Level, The Fill Side, Camber and Side Drain Construction
▪ Embankments: Earthwork Volume Calculations
▪ Drainage :Road Surface Drainage, Side Drains, Erosion Control, Mitre Drains, Scour Checks, Cut-Off Drains,
▪ Culverts: Siting of Culverts
▪ Drifts: Drift Warning, Site Location, Drift Approaches, Surface Materials
▪ Gravelling: Standards, Gravel Source, Gravel Quality
▪ Compaction: Optimal Moisture Content, Compaction Methods,
▪ Quality Standards
▪ Demonstration for maintenance methods on existing city roads, Pavement Layers, Bituminous Layers and Mixes
The duration of the assignment will be 14 Weeks, expected to start in November 2019.
Responsibilities of the CARE
CARE shall monitor and supervise the work and review progress of the work, provide regular technical support and feedback and provide support for engaging stakeholders and constituents as when required.
Besides, CARE will provide necessary technical assistance for planning and implementation of the said training program. Therefore, the selected training service provider will under the supervision of the technical Advisor BRIDGES project.
All the travel and logistical support including flights and visa processing will be the responsibility of CARE.
· Minimum 7 years of experience in providing/ conducting training (LBRT) and developing training guideline in addition to working on road projects;
· Education requirements; At least a MSc. Civil Engineering with specialization in Highway/Roads or Bsc. Civil Engineering with over 10 years’ experience in road development projects.
· Good knowledge and experience on Road Construction procedures
· 7-10 years proven experience and capacity to develop training for the road construction execution works
· Proven capacity to develop practical training guidelines and program; experience in documentation, reporting and evaluation of training programs for any regional roads authority in the: Horn of Africa, EAC, and or ECOWAS
· Registration with any professional institutions for the lead training engineer
Reporting and Documentation
The training service provider will maintain proper documentation process of the tailor-made road construction execution training and assess evaluation and quality of the short apprentice ship through standard template. In addition, the contracted Training Service Provider will update training related data proving input to BRIDGES Project training/event data monitoring system on completion and achievement of Labour-Based Road Technology tailor-made training for the KTI apprenticeship deliverables.
The payment on the awarded service contract will be made in US Dollars (USD) against achieved output and on submission of report as per CARE rules and payment conditions that will be stipulated in the Service for Contract, i.e, 30% at inception and 70% upon completion of the assignment.
Technical proposal that demonstrates clearly (Understanding of the TOR and the task to be accomplished, Draft work plan) and Financial Proposal with email subject “TAILOR-MADE APPRENTICESHIP-KTI” shall be sent electronically to email@example.com on or before 28TH NOVEMBER, 2019 by 5pm Local Time