Somali-English Interpreter/Translator – Garowe, Somalia
About the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES): Together we build democracies that deliver for all. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral institutions/systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions. As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by providing technical assistance; empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process; and applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle. We believe that trusted electoral institutions deliver credible elections, effective governing institutions are accountable to the people they serve, all people safely participate in civic and political life on an equal basis and technology, information and data positively serve elections and democracy. Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries – from developing to mature democracies – to develop and implement comprehensive, collaborative democracy solutions.
IFES requires the services of a Somali-English Interpreter/Translator to support a remote assessment funded by the U.K. Department of International Development and Adam Smith International, through the Somalia Stability Fund. The Interpreter/Translator will assist with consecutive interpretation of technical discussions over various audio and video communication systems as well as translate communications and technical documents, as needed. This assignment is expected to last for approximately two weeks.
Please note: IFES is recruiting for two positions—this posting for an Interpreter/Translator, and another posting for a Researcher/Facilitator. A single candidate who can fill both roles is strongly preferred. IFES encourages qualified applicants to apply for both positions.
This support will include, but is not limited to:
- Providing consecutive interpretation of individual and group discussions over phone and online communications systems, interpreting all spoken language accurately and with the intent of the original speaker in Somali and English;
- Translating documents and written communication, English to Somali and Somali to English, as needed throughout the period of the contract. Translation of documents may include legal documents, technical documents related to democracy and governance, email correspondence, questionnaires and responses, and other formats as needed.
- Conducting these services with the strictest conditions of confidentiality, in relation to all written and verbal communication, all documents, and all other aspects of the consultant’s contractual scope of work
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree are strongly preferred.
- Full, professional, written and verbal fluency in both Somali and English is mandatory.
- At least five years of experience directly related to professional interpretation and translation, preferably in technical and topical areas related to democracy, governance, legal affairs and/or elections.
- Demonstrable technical knowledge of democracy, governance and elections in Puntland and Somalia
- The consultant must be based in Garowe, Puntland State, Somalia.
- The consultant must be able to provide their own computer, peripheral equipment, reliable internet connection and up to date or otherwise fully compatible version of Microsoft Office and up to date anti-virus software
- Experience working with international implementing partners is preferred.
IFES is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.”