AMOUD LEGAL AID CLINIC
Amoud Legal Clinic is established in September 2009 with the agreement (Micro-Capital Grant Agreement) between Amoud University and UNDP, including becoming partners with pact world, and American Bar Association (ABA), for implementing expanding access to justice program (EAJ) Amoud Legal Aid Clinic comprised, Criminal unit defense, Civil Litigation unit, access to justice and awareness unit, and Human Rights Unit. Free legal aid to people in need of legal aid services, particularly to, refugees, IDPs Minority and extremely vulnerable members of the host communities in matters relating to criminal cases, civil cases, and customary law, and provides legal counseling and mediations where necessary. Legal Clinic, also advocates and provides legal trainings, awareness raising to the host and refugee communities in rural areas, or remote areas in Zailac, Lughaya, Baki, Boon, Harirad, Borama, Dilla, Quljeed and Wajale.
AMOUD UNIVESITY Legal aid Clinic office, provides for Free Legal Aid Services and legal Awareness Campaigns for outreach communities(remote and coastal areas) is aimed at improving access to justice to vulnerable, voiceless and disadvantaged groups who can’t afford to hire a lawyer. Amoud University, Legal Aid Clinic, is seeking applications for a qualified 6.Senior Lawyer for its free legal aid services, legal assistance and legal awareness campaigns The senior lawyer will provide free legal representation for the indigent peoples, . He/she will represent cases in all levels of Somaliland courts and also will involve all legal clinic criminal and human rights unit legal representations, detention and prison monitoring and community legal empowerment activities.
Position: Amoud Legal Aid Clinic ‘’ALAC’’ In both Criminal and, civil Substantive Unit Is Recruiting For Six Senior Lawyers, Six paralegal, while also recruiting one personal finance officer, one Admin and HR, all position or applicants Will Be Based In Awdal And Salsal Regions But Also Frequently Traveled To Other Regions Of Somaliland In Case Of Need.
Amoud Legal Clinic objectives include:
- Access to justice and legal aid improved for individual who are in Borama prison, through profession of free legal aid assistance and representation by the legal clinic, the focuses will be on vulnerable and marginalized groups.
- The legal education of third year law students improved and broadened. The legal clinic will provide law students with a firsthand experience of the way Somaliland legal system functions.
- The knowledge of civil society toward rights of women and children and the citizens’ rights in general. Moreover, it will be conducted legal information public campaign to enhance access to justice and legal aid development.
The specific aims of the project are:
- To ensure that vulnerable persons in conflict with the law have access to advice and information about their legal rights and the opportunity to seek redress;
- To use the evidence gathered from the work of the paralegals to inform the relevant government bodies about the impact of laws and policies and to make recommendations for improvement;
- To create public awareness of human rights legal education and legal empowerment.
Duties and Responsibilities/ Terms of Reference Paralegal
Amoud legal aid is recruiting for six Senior Paralegals, successful candidates will be expected to:
- Assist in coordinating and supervising the work of the paralegal team which the Senior Paralegals is leading, ensuring paralegals are organized and are carrying out their work in the field to the highest standards;
- Assist in following up with cases of importance;
- Advise persons in conflict with the law on Somaliland law and how to use the criminal justice system, making referrals to lawyers when necessary;
- Conduct legal aid clinics in prisons and, more widely, distribute awareness raising materials to educate the public on human rights, Somaliland’s laws and how to navigate the criminal justice system;
- Screen remand prisoners, juveniles and women, and other persons in conflict with the law, in places of custody and carry out a prison census;
- Trace and orient witnesses, relatives, parents/guardians and those who have stood as guarantors, of people in conflict with the law;
- Assist in organizing and managing coordination meetings for justice sector institutions working on matters under the remit of the paralegals;
- Any other tasks given.
- Proven ability to take initiative and lead others;
- Desire and demonstrated passion to assist Somaliland’s poor and vulnerable;
- Experience working with vulnerable populations and people in need;
- Knowledge of Somaliland’s law both civil and criminal justice system;
- Experience in legal field legal actors and service providers;
- Native Somali speaker and proficiency in English;
- Computer literate with ability to use Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Proven inter-personal skills;
- Strong work ethic, ability to learn new skills and being a team player;
- Ability and willingness to travel within Somaliland.
- Experience as a paralegal;
- Proven experience with project coordination and management;
- Proven experience with managing a team.
- Experience engaging with the justice sector and/or civil society in Somaliland
- Demonstrated understanding of the rule of law in preventing and protecting vulnerable members of the community
- Knowledge and familiarity with informal justice and alternative dispute resolution mechanisms; and specialized experience in land rights, SGBV laws and IDP Rights
How to Apply