** SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Senior Local Security Assistant
Vacancy Number: SVN/IOMSO/062/2019
Duty Station : Mogadishu Somalia,
Classification : General Service, Grade G6
Type of Appointment :** Short term, six months with possibility of extension**
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date :** 22 December, 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Organizational Context and Scope
Under the overall supervision of the Head of SSU Somalia and direct supervision of the Field Security Officer (FSO) Mogadishu the incumbent will assist in the implementation of IOM safety and security policies and guidelines, programs and measures. In particular, he/she will:-
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Support the implementation of mission’s specific safety and security plans, by remaining conversant with various procedures and policies of UNDSS and the IOM security management system and advising the FSO Mogadishu on safety and security issues in the assigned fields of responsibility.
- Ensure that security administration activities (travel security clearances, staff/visitor tracking in/out of Mogadishu, etc.) are properly maintained and archived for future access if required, maintaining an orderly filing system for all security files.
- Collaborate with the FSO, conduct physical safety and security survey of offices, security protocols (mandatory security training) vehicles to ensure compliance to Area SRM measures.
- Take an active role in the development and implementation of evacuation/relocation and contingency plans in coordination with the SSU and UNDSS.
- Under the guidance of the FSO maintain an updated local Security Plan, Security Warden System and coordinate with TPCs in order to maintain an updated and functional phone tree
- In coordination with SSU-and DSS, efficiently monitor the local security situation and reports significant events/incidents in a timely manner to the appropriate management/staff using prescribed reporting forms and modalities. Ensure the reports are disseminated in a timely manner to the appropriate IOM staff, and Third-Party Contractors if applicable.
- Liaise with local UNDSS, WFP, INGOs, TPC and other local security stakeholders at the appropriate level, ensuring the implementation of an efficient information gathering and dissemination system according to SSU policy.
- Under the direction of FSO escort staff in armored vehicle as required in accordance with IOM and UNDSS regulation and requirements.
- Support the FSO in investigations and reports security breaches/incidents within the unit’s mandates to the COM and FSO, while ensuring strict confidentiality
- Undertake all radio technician responsibilities, designs and updates Call Sign lists, trains security staff/contracted guards on VHF/HF radios and maintain overall operability of communications systems and issuance and maintenance of radios.
- Monitor the contracted security guards and ensures that posts are always manned through the guard field supervisor.
- Control and track SSU assets and, where necessary the issuance and return of those assets. Ensure there is proper maintenance of SSU assets including Armored Vehicle (AV).
- Ensure that all staff receive the security briefing on arrival and maintain an updated record.
- Perform other duties as maybe assigned from time to time.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies –
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate. • Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way
Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others and building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
HOW TO APPLY:
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com