Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title**: Senior Finance Assistant**
Vacancy Number : VN/IOMSO/051/2019
Duty Station : Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G6/01
Type of Appointment : Fixed Term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 5th October 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Context: Under the overall supervision of the Senior Resource Management Officer and the direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer the successful candidate will be responsible for providing effective and efficient administrative support to Resource Management Unit. Core
Functions / Responsibilities:
- Oversee and guide the field Finance staff to ensure that they carry out their duties properly and advise them, accordingly, including training meetings, materials and events.
- Act as a focal point for finance issues for the field team and other partners.
- Enter payments, receipts and non-cash vouchers in SAP accounting system. Ensure all supporting documentation and signatures are obtained before finalizing vouchers.
- Ensure that all finance activities are performed in accordance with the IOM Financial, Procurement and Accounting Regulations. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
- Prepare monthly accounting returns package to be sent to HQ & regional offices.
- Maintains appropriate financial filing system. Maintain files of all financial instructions/guidelines issued as reference for completion of work assignments.
- Participate in the pre-grant financial assessments of potential partners by reviewing partner financial information for any indications of poor financial management.
- Assist in reviewing proposals from potential partners, making recommendations on: a. Reasonableness of the proposed budget b. Actions that need to be undertaken before entering into a grant agreement c. Requirements that should be incorporated into partners’ grant agreement to manage specific risks.
- Oversee the financial aspect of the successful implementation of grants under the program throughout the lifecycle of each grant – from award to close out
- Ensure administrative and financial compliance of all grants. Train the admin and finance staff of partners as appropriate.
- Ensure that the system for tracking grants and implementation progress is in place.
- Review disbursement requests to ensure that all reporting and compliance requirements and/or pending queries have been satisfied before funds are disbursed
- Ensure that all financial reports submitted by partners are in compliance with the requirements as per grants agreement
- Discuss with partners any financial management weaknesses and, where appropriate, ensuring that action plans is put in place to mitigate them.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- a) Completed university degree from an accredited academic institution in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration preferably with a professional certification as chartered accountant or certified public accountant with at least four years of relevant experience in finance, accounting and budgeting;
- b) High school degree with at least six years of relevant work experience;
a) Excellent level of computer literacy;
b) Knowledge of IPSAS and SAP highly desirable;
c) Knowledge of IOM accounting system, software and procedure a distinct advantage.
Fluency in English and Somalia is required.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges. Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
a) Effectively applies knowledge of relevant financial discipline;
b) Follows internal control procedures to prevent fraud and mismanagement;
c) Ensures application of institutional financial policies and guidelines.
Other Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable. Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Special Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No.), Position Title and the Duty Station with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
From 22.09.2019 to 05.10.201