CARE Somalia/Somaliland is an international NGO working in Somalia/Somaliland. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, as well as mitigating immediate suffering caused by drought, floods, disease outbreaks, conflict and displacement. We invite applications from experienced and talented individuals to fill the position Senior Communication officer to be based in Galkacyo South with substantive travel to project sites across Galmudug and Lower Juba This assignment will be for a period of twelve (12) months.
Reporting to the Humanitarian Program Manager in Galmudung state the Senior Communications Officer will work closely with Emergency projects to assist, build and support program communication needs. The incumbent will be responsible for enhancing CARE Somalia/Somaliland project’s visibility with its donor, beneficiaries, partners and the public by generating project success stories and other visibility documents. The successful candidate should demonstrate prior experience in multimedia i.e. video filming and editing, graphic design and photography.
· Contributes to the design and content of print publications, social media channels, original content, and other outlets that help CARE Somalia/Somaliland engage with relevant communities and supporters.
· Collaborates with CARE Somalia/Somaliland team members around the country to understand and support CARE programs.
· Lead on the translation of material from English to Somali and vice versa
· Support in developing and maintaining media relations at field/ state level
· Creates field communications and outreach plans in coordination with key field staff.
· Draft and otherwise support the production of high-quality communications products such as situation reports, photos, fact sheets social media content, video and audio and blogs, for internal and external use.
· Develop and deliver a clear and effective system for internal communications.
· Leads in the drafting of case studies chronicling CARE’ s successes and lessons learned.
• Supports in creating and implement an integrated and innovative communications strategy that supports CARE Somalia/ Somaliland evolving goals.
• Ensure communications products are signed-off according to the CARE sign-off procedures.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Required skills and qualifications
· Degree in Journalism, communications or related degree
· Prior 3 years experience working in communications on humanitarian or development issues; with experience in successfully supporting the development and implementation of communication and campaign strategies.
· Fluent in written and spoken English and Somali.
· Experience with professional DSLR cameras, lenses, and lighting, including.
· Ability to use different video and photo editing software
· Experience of collecting and producing communication products, such as case studies and photo stories.
· Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people.
· Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organize a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities.
· Pay attention to detail.
Key Internal Contacts;
Emergency Director /Humanitarian Coordinator /Communication and Advocacy Coordinator / Program Development Manager//Sector specialists/Humanitarian Program Manager/ MEAL Specialists**
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV in a one PDF document to SOM.Recruitment@care.org by referring the job title ‘Senior Communication Officer” as the subject line of the email, latest on Tuesday**, 21st July 2020.**
all applications should be accompanied by a CV with a minimum of three traceable and recent references.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about CARE and its programs, visit www.care.org
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
CARE is Zero Tolerant organization for child abuse and sexual exploitation and abuses.