Promising Career Opportunity
SECURITY & SAFETY ADVISOR
Pact Inc and the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) are implementing a five-year program – Expanding Access to Justice (EAJ) funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) through the Freedom House-led Human Rights Support Mechanism (HRSM).
The Security & Safety Advisor will oversee and ensure mitigation of risks posed to the program, personnel and assets of the EAJ program through provision of specialized, coordinated and focused security management support for the Expanding Access to Justice (EAJ) Program. The Advisor will be based in Mogadishu, reporting to the Chief of Party, with expected frequent travel to all program implementation areas.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Review and make recommendations regarding safety/security requirements of the EAJ program offices and liaise regularly with the Chief of Party, EAJ senior management team, and Pact Country Director on emerging threats and specific security conditions.
- Ensure all relevant safety/security information is disseminated in a timely manner to all staff and to the extent possible the partners. Advise on safe movement of staff – secure travel routes, insecure locations to avoid, vehicle fleet management policies, appropriate and adequate safety and communications equipment in vehicles etc.
- Develop and review all evacuation and emergency contingency plans and make recommendations as necessary (emergency evacuation, assembly/safe areas, mass casualty management and emergency communications), to develop appropriate responses, including required human and technical resources for effective implementation.
- Conduct as required security assessments/evaluations/threat/risk analysis (both tactical and strategic) for the EAJ program and offer appropriate mitigation recommendations.
- Conduct regular document reviews of extant security plans and policies and update, edit or improve, as required.
- Identify various levels of risk (risk matrix) and potential mitigation measures within the concept of EAJ’s and Pact’s risk management strategies.
- Ensures that fire prevention devices and fire-fighting equipment are available in all EAJ offices; Reviews fire evacuation plan and coordinates fire drills and training as necessary;
- Assist in the design and implementation of security strategies and program specific security procedures/standards and establish a concrete course of action for their implementation within the organization.
- Conduct regular safety/security briefings for all EAJ staff and targeted trainings for identified program staff in relevant areas (counter-surveillance, defensive driving techniques, evacuation drills, mass casualty response, hostage survival, stress awareness, operational and personal security measures).
- Determine accessible areas, maintains tracking systems and coordinates a 24-hour Emergency Response System.
- Manages, coordinates and leads security convoy operations and escorts
- Be guided by Pact’s Rules and Regulations related to the confidentiality and secure management of internal and external safety/security information.
Required Professionalism Competencies:
- Knowledge, understanding and ability to manage security challenges in Somalia
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, deadlines and achieving results
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems
- A minimum of six (6) years’ experience of progressively responsible experience in the security management is required;
- Other desirable experience include: security planning, security operations, security risk assessment, standard operating procedures, physical security, coordination with local authorities and law enforcement agencies, emergency communication system and crisis management.
Fluency in English and Somali both oral and written is required.
How to apply:
Interested applicants fulfilling the requirements are invited to send their application letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Security Advisor – Mogadishu” on the subject line. Deadline for applications: November 3rd, 2019.