Research Officer – Conflict Focus – Hargeisa
Closing date 1 Jul 2020
Consilient (www.consilientresearch.org), is a research firm dedicated to delivering localized on the ground insights to the aid and development community. Rather than the traditional remote approach to research, we at Consilient believe the best work is done when a full-time team collaborates together in-country to deliver informed products across topical sectors. As such, Consilient delivers all its research products to the development sector, government, U.N. and donor clients with full-time locally based research teams.
Today, with a team of more than 75, Consilient is engaged in research activities across a multitude of sectors which include: Emergencies & Humanitarian Aid, Education, Food Security & Resilience, Gender Empowerment, Financial Inclusivity, Migration & Displacement, Livelihoods & Economic Growth, Social Protection, Health, Water & Sanitation, and Security, Stabilization, & Countering Violent Extremism.
We are always on the lookout for dedicated and ambitious staff who want to continue to learn and grow while taking on new challenges and responsibilities within the team.
Job Description: The Research Officer is responsible for the full life cycle of research support and implementation, from conceptualization and design, to field-level implementation, and analysis and report writing.
Our ideal candidate is a strong team player who is passionate about delivering informed research products and wants to engage in the entirety of the research process. We are looking for people who are eager to learn and grow while taking on meaningful responsibility. Successful applicants will thrive working in a fast-paced environment working on a range of topics and sectoral areas while providing rigor to the research process.
This is a full-time position beginning remotely with the eventual expectation of being based in our Hargeisa, Somaliland office as the Covid-19 situation allows. The Research Officer reports to the Research Manager.
Description of Main Duties:
· Conceptualize and design methodologies to address key research questions;
· Draft quantitative and qualitative data collection tools for projects covering a range of subject matters;
· Train local staff and manage data collection field teams;
· Analyze qualitative and quantitative data
· Lead report writing;
· Communicate with clients on project implementation and timelines, as necessary;
· M.A. degree in relevant field with prior research experience;
· Strong background in research methodology and data analysis;
· Experience collecting quantitative or qualitative data will be considered an asset;
· Basic knowledge of SPSS, Stata, or R required;
· Experience collaborating with and managing diverse, multi-cultural teams preferred;
· Eagerness to engage in research across a multitude of sectorial areas;
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
· Ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines;
· Prior experience living and working abroad, preferably in a developing country;
· Cultural sensitivity;
· Fluency in written and spoken English.
How to apply
Please send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org in a single PDF containing a cover letter, CV, and professional references. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.