The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an independent, non-profit organization (NGO), founded on the basis of humanitarian principles, and human rights based approach, to secure the protection of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs), and to promoting long term solutions to the problems of forced displacement. Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management
Overall purpose of the role:
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Somalia/land Program is seeking for WASH & Infrastructure Team Leader Somali national who will be based in Mogadishu but frequently travel to field. She/he will be responsible for the implementation and design of the construction aspects of the WASH & Infrastructure program including planning of the activities to be implemented, supervision of the activities to ensure that SPHERE minimum standard are met, as well as financial management of these activities, the overall support provided to any of the partner organizations and contractors implementing WASH & Infrastructure activities, introducing and representing DRC in community and at WASH and Shelter clusters level.
- Develop and implement surveys for need assessments in vulnerable areas focusing water, sanitation, and hygiene and related physical infrastructure needs
- Carry out technical assessments for all typologies of WASH and Infrastructures
- Prepare action plan, list of activities and latrine design in consultation with National WASH & Infrastructure coordinator.
- Ensure that the marginalized/ vulnerable communities, including women, participate in each of the project cycle related to WASH and infrastructure.
- Facilitate trainings on WASH and infrastructure using a participatory approach with high practical involvement
- Prepare regular reports for the supervisor and Country Infrastructure coordinator, and document lessons learned.
- Preparation of weekly, monthly work plans and progress reports
- Updating and submission of 4W and 3W matrix to the WASH and shelter coordination units respectively on monthly basis, or when required
- Assist community committee and community leaders in identifying target groups for WASH/Infrastructure related interventions
- Preparation of drawings (AutoCAD), BoQ/Cost Estimates and Tender documents for all WASH/infrastructure
- Preparation, coordination and Submission of Purchase Order requests(PRs) as per DRC policies and procedures
- To ensure that all the activities are executing as per design, specifications and work schedule
- Extend all possible technical support to other team members and contractors when and where required
- Preparation of feasibility reports and completion certificates
- Verify the work done at site and recommend for the payments to contractor(s)/casual labors etc
- Preparation of all the payment documents, after verification, submission it to procurement department
- Contribute to the standardization of technical designs in line with the other WASH Teams across Somalia/land.
- Participate actively to the WASH/Infrastructure Working Group in DRC Somalia/land
- Working in harmony with all other project staff and field team for the effective and efficient day-to-day management of the WASH/ infrastructure project in Banadir and Hiran.
- Coordinate with other stakeholders on the ground for smooth, efficient and effective implementation of the activities
- Ensuring integration of WATSAN, Hygiene and shelter activities through close coordination
- Report monitoring and evaluation data to relevant department supervisors
- Any other support requested depends on capacity
- Any other relevant task assigned by supervisor
Experience, education and technical competencies
- University degree/higher diploma in Civil Engineering Environmental Health Engineering.
- Strong understanding of WASH issues in remote areas including IDP settlement
- Experience, minimum of 5 years, within the field of WASH and Infrastructure in Somalia.
- Strong understanding of participatory training methods, community mobilizations and networking
- Experience working in remote areas
- Experience working with local construction materials and any other local resources
- Experience with gender mainstreaming and work with marginalized groups
- Strong managerial team leadership skills
- Strong report writing and proposal developments.
- Demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relations with WASH Cluster and other stakeholders
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Somali languages
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the Regional team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables.
- Collaborating: You lead regional initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Availability: 20th January, 2020
Duty station: Mogadishu and frequency of travel Beledweine, Jowhar and Abudwak)
Reporting to: Program Manager
Duration: 1-year contract with possibility of extension subject to availability of funding and performance.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application using the link below no later than 4th Jan-2020.