The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a New Partnership Worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve these objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among others, the implementation of new organization structure and the filling of regular vacant posts.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States to apply for the post of Protocol Assistant within the Protocol Services Directorate
2- Job Purpose:
- To handle various protocol activities and administrative matters, formalities with all the relevant Ethiopian Ministries and other offices with a view to ensuring that all official and private requests by the AU Commission and its staff members are expeditiously attended to.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Senior Protocol Officer and Protocol Officers, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Implementation of Headquarters Agreement: processing of resident IDs, visas, privilege and immunities, driving licenses, customs clearances, vehicle plate numbers & ownership booklets, civil aviation issues, etc…
- Conferences, ceremonies and event management: servicing meetings, official events/functions and related activities;
- Airport duties: welcoming/and seeing-off VIPs and other personalities at the airport, immigration formalities, VIP lounge arrangements, baggage collection, transport and hotel room arrangements;
- Required Skills and Competencies
- Excellent interpersonal skills, sense of accountability and compliance;
- Excellent reporting, oral and written communication skills. The ideal candidate should be able to communicate with influence;
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Readiness to share information and knowledge at all times, drive for results and continuous improvement;
- Computer literacy and excellent ability to work using MS Word, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint, etc. Knowledge and experience in additional computer office applications and working tools will be an advantage.
- A Diploma in International Relations, Public Administration, Humanities or any other related discipline, with Five
- years of relevant work experience in the areas of protocol services, public administration, international relations and /or any other relevant area.
- Experience in diplomatic institutions will be a preferred advantage, as well as work exposure at international level and within international development agencies.
- Knowledge of the African Union work system will be an added advantage.
Proficient knowledge of 2 of the African Union official working languages. Advanced Knowledge of other working languages would be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment:
The Appointment will be made on a regular term contract, in the first instance on a fixed-term contract for a period of three (3) years, the first twelve (12) months of which shall be considered probationary period and thereafter for renewable periods every two years subject to good performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Least Represented Countries
Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply: Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Rep. , Comoros, Congo (DRC), Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ghana, Guinea, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Saharawi Arab D.R. , Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa and South Sudan
Indicative basic salary of US$ 15,758.00 (GSA5 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment 46% of basic salary, Housing allowance 16,813.44 per annum and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), etc. for internationally recruited staff of the Commission and $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff of the Commission.
How to apply
Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website
http://www.aucareers.org no later than 7th January 2020.
- Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae/resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge. Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
- Copy of valid passport.
- Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not
- More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
- Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management African Union Commission
Regular (Long Duration)
For the Original TOR for the Protocal Assistnt Position Click here to download: Data Overview