DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall purpose of the role
The Project Officer is responsible for the overall implementation of project activities in Taleex and Bocame districts.
The Project Officer will work under the supervision of the project coordinator and under the administrative management of the area manager for DRC/DDG Puntland office. The overall work of the project team will be directed by SSF projects manager.
The Project Officer will closely work with the Community Faciliatory for Bocame and Taleex districts and to coordinate with the other Project Officer for Xudun and Tuqaraq. He/she is expected to be able to travel between Bocame and Talex as needed.
- Act as the primary link and channel for communication between communities, local elders and DRC/DDG;
- Carry out the mapping of all villages in Bocame and Talex their key stakeholders in accordance with DRC/DDG guidelines;
- Facilitate the engagement and participation of communities, local elders, youth and women in the project and ensure fair representation and inclusive participation of all socio-economic groups;
- Ensure that project activities are implemented in a gender and conflict sensitive way;
- Support the leaders of the communities of Bocame and Talex to select in a participatory and transparent way the women beneficiaries of cash transfers for collective action;
- Work closely with Shaqadoon local coordinator to support communities to open bank accounts;
- Support the leaders of the communities of Bocame and Talex to mobilise financial resources from the community members;
- Support the leaders of the communities of Bocame and Talex to carry out a joint participatory budgeting and planning process for the entire Bocame district, possibly together with neighbouring districts in Sool region;
- Coordinate and organize extensive dialogue and discussions among members of the communities of Bocame and Talex districts and ensure that leaders solicit feedback from community members on the participatory and budgeting process;
- Following the budgeting and planning process, support the communities of Bocame and Talex to establish Project Implementation Units (PIUs) at district and village level, which will implement the prioritised investments;
- Support the PIUs to prepare project proposals for submission to DRC with the aim to receive a matching grant that is in proportion to the funds raised by the communities;
- Carry out training on procurement and finance for the PIUs in Bocame and Talex;
- Ensure that the PIUs carry out their own procurement of goods, services and works, and account for their own funds and DRC grants in adherence with DRC and SSF rules and
- Ensure evidence-based implementation by taking good high-quality photos and short clips of activities being implemented;
- Prepare short weekly report to document progress and challenges;
- Document and share lessons learned and best practices during project implementation period using the prescribed DRC/DDG formats and timely submit to the Project Coordinator for the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports;
- Keep records of project activities (attendance sheets, reports, etc.) in both in softcopy and hardcopy; ensure that softcopies are stored on-line in DRC OneDrive.
- Support the Project Coordinator in establishing relations with the local administration and relevant civil society organizations as well as international/local organizations implementing similar interventions in Bocame and Talex;
- Work closely with MEAL team in organizing sensitizations campaigns aimed at raising community members awareness on how-to use the Interactive Voice Response System of DRC beneficiary feedback mechanism, which is meant to increase project accountability;
- In the absence of the Project Coordinator, act as a representative for DRC/DDG project in Bocame and Talex districts in various local coordination forums and meetings;
- Exercise due diligence in the care and maintenance of all assigned equipment, including computers and communication equipment;
- Carry out any other relevant tasks as assigned by the Project Coordinator based on advice form the Project Manager or the Area Manager.
Experience, Educational qualifications & technical competencies
- Over 2 years of experience in the field of local governance, community driven development, or capacity building on procurement and/or finance;
- At least 2 years of experience as a Trainer of Trainers (ToT) or facilitator of trainings.
- Minimum of a Diploma in Business Administration, Management, Governance or other relevant subjects. Bachelor’s Degree is preferred.
- Prior experience of working with international and/or local NGOs & donor funded projects/programme in complex emergencies;
- Should have analytical and report writing skills and be able to compile reports;
- Leadership skills and willingness to deal with conflicts constructively;
- Political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures;
- Strong liaison, education and communication skills (oral and written);
- Ability to manage internal/ external pressures;
- Work independently at fully professional level.
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process;
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback;
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership;
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures;
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: 1st January 2019
Duty station: Talex (50%) and Bocame (50%)
Reporting to: Project Team Leader
Duration: 6 months
The position is open to Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html). All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
Application – How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 22nd December, 2019.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.