|[GPE MCA Project Manager – Education]|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Education||LOCATION: Mogadishu with frequent travel to program sites|
|GRADE: 2||POST TYPE: National|
|Child Safeguarding:Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently, (Example: Children under-fives on a daily basis in the nutrition programs in southern states). Because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the policy checking/vetting process staff.|
|ROLE PURPOSE:The GPE project manager will lead the SCI managed portion of the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) Global Partnership for Education (GPE) funded MCA program. Under the guidance of the GPE Program Director, the post holder will oversee the day to day delivery, implementation and reporting of the GPE funded MCA program. The post holder will be embedded within the GPE Program Management Unit (PMU) reporting to the GPE Program Director. The post holder is expected to have in-depth professional knowledge and experience in education planning and management. S/he will be responsible for planning and execution of all project activities. He/she is expected to ensure that the project is timely, efficiently and effectively implemented. H/she ensures the involvement and participation of stakeholders including children, teachers, parents, and government authorities. He or she will ensure the use of appropriate, cost effective and innovative approaches. He or she will ensure synergy through collaboration and networking with other actors and promote partnership with relevant partners. The job would demand frequent interaction with and provision of technical support to project staff and government line Ministries. The post holder is also expected to effectively manage education project officers reporting to him or her.|
|SCOPE OF ROLE:Reports to: [GPE Program Director]|
Staff directly reporting to this post: GPE MCA project engineer, GPE MEAL coordinator, 2 MCA education officers.
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:Project Implementation|
· Working closely with the PMU team and the FGS Ministry of Education, the post holder will ensure that all activities under the SCI managed portion of the GPE funded MCA program progress as per plan and that all stakeholders are fully involved in the implementation of the program.
· Oversee timely delivery of all program deliverables under the SCI managed portion of the GPE funded MCA program.
· Prepare detailed action plans (activity and budget plans) and implement upon approval by the GPE Program Director.
· Ensure that program is implemented in accordance with the approved work plans and the involvement of partners and concerned stakeholders at all levels.
· Ensure that project/program monitoring and evaluation system/tools are applied and program progress (activities and outputs), results and immediate objectives (outcomes) and impacts are systematically tracked, documented and shared as appropriate on the basis of SC and donors’ requirements.
· Travels to project sites and conduct regular monitoring of schools together with project team.
· Organise quarterly and bi-annual (as required) project review meetings involving all stakeholders and ensure that planning/implementation of projects are informed by the outcomes of the reviews.
· Provide technical assistance to Ministry of Education at FGS and Federal Member States level.
· Ensure effective community participation and utilization of local resources for project implementation and sustainability.
· Report to GPE Programme Director on any irregularities or obstacles which may hamper the implementation of the GPE funded programs.
· In consultation with project staff and local partners prepare project budgets and submits to Program Director for approval.
· Assist project officers in producing project cash forecast on a monthly basis and manage project budgets as per SCI minimum standards and donors’ requirements.
· Monitor program budget utilisation (budget/expenditure) against project implementation progress (variance reports) and propose necessary adjustments/justification and/or actions.
· Manage the program staff; define expectations, provide leadership and support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly.
· Manage and provide leadership to program staff in accordance with the terms and conditions of SCI.
· Apply performance management system in line with SCI guidelines and minimum standards with program staff under his/her supervision.
· Identify program staff performance gaps and plan appropriate actions.
· Ensure that program staff understand and are able to adapt their roles and responsibilities in both emergency and development contexts.
· Establish planning, review and feedback mechanisms for program staff members.
Coordination and Collaboration
· Ensure that GPE projects are implemented in close coordination with SCI’s and other actors’ education projects.
· Establish good working relationship with respective Ministries of Education and their offices at Federal and state levels.
Report Preparation and Submission
· Ensure timely program monitoring reports are produced and submitted to GPE Program Director for action.
· Together with the program staff and finance/grant staff verify completeness/ appropriateness of partners’ financial report.
· Provide technical support to local partners and government offices in order for them to prepare and submit required reports.
· Prepare timely and high quality program progress and completion reports that meet donor requirements.
Assessment, Monitoring and Evaluation
· Together with the Project team ensure that projects and components have robust monitoring plans, baselines, reviews and evaluations in line with project designs and donor guidelines.
· Plan and organize periodic project monitoring and take corrective actions, document and disseminate lessons and best practices.
· Ensure active involvement and participation of beneficiaries and relevant stakeholders in the process of program monitoring.
· Ensure that project officers are familiar with education policies and strategies, SC global strategies, Quality Learning Environment tools and techniques.
· Work with technical resources among Save the Children members to facilitate sharing and learning in good practices and leverage their support for strengthening education studies, assessments, innovations, advocacy and capacity building in favour of children
General statements of responsibility
· Perform other related tasks as requested by his/her immediate supervisor.
· Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, Health & safety, fraud, whistle blowing, equal opportunities and other relevant policies
· Account for SC’s assets and interests and safeguard from loss arising from fraud, waste, weak administration and poor value for money
· Carry out the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects Save the Children’s commitment to safeguarding children in accordance with the Child Protection Policy.
|SAVE THE CHILDREN COMPETENCY FRAMEWORK DELIVERING RESULTS (SKILLED)• Maintains a broad strategic perspective at the same time as an awareness of the detail of a situation|
• Establishes clear and compelling objectives with teams and individuals and monitors progress and performance
• Creates and applies measures and metrics to track performance
• Holds others accountable for achieving results and challenges underperformance
• Demonstrates financial awareness and a concern for cost effectiveness
DEVELOPING SELF AND OTHERS (ACCOMPLISHED)
• Gives regular positive and constructive feedback to others
• Identifies clear development needs and development plans through regular constructive reviews of their own performance (and their team’s where appropriate)
• Creates space for others to learn and provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments when people are ready for them
• Coaches others to learn from their experiences on the job and to use the resources available to them
PROBLEM SOLVING AND DECISION MAKING (SKILLED)
• Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
• Stays with a problem or challenge until a solution is reached or no longer reasonably attainable.
• Knows when to involve others in a decision
• Demonstrates awareness of the wider external influences that impact on decision making
• Simplifies processes and procedures wherever possible
INNOVATING AND ADAPTING (SKILLED)
APPLYING TECHNICAL AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERTISE (SKILLED)
• Delivers work that reflects a good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
• Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
• Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conducts WORKING EFFECTIVELY WITH OTHERS(ACCOMPLISHED)
• Enables people from a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives to contribute to positive outcomes
• Breaks down silo working and challenges behaviours that are not collaborative
• Knows when to follow and lend leadership to strengthen other leaders
• Recognises when trust is broken and seeks to resolve conflict and re-establish trust
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE|
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To see a full a job description,
Or Please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs or you can apply directly using the link below:
Application Deadline: The Advert closes on 18-May- 2020
|Date of issue: 29th April, 2020 Author :|