Overview of position
Our client is a specialized agency of the United Nations. Its mandate is to promote and accelerate sustainable industrial development in developing countries and economies in transition, and work towards improving living conditions in the world’s poorest countries by drawing on its combined global resources and expertise. The Programme Development and Technical Cooperation Division (PTC) is responsible for providing technical cooperation services on technological and economic issues covered by our client’s mandate in developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
Our client’s Project “Agro-Technology Development for Economic Growth in South and Central Somalia”, is designed to support the revival of productive sectors in Central and South Somalia regions by establishing a network of three agro-technology and enterprise development units to support Somali businesses in starting, rehabilitating and upgrading agro-industrial operations, accessing new technologies, markets and financing facilities.
The project is expected to support at least 300 existing and perspective entrepreneurs as well as supporting around 600 individuals in starting a micro-enterprise or finding a skilled employment, as a result of vocational and technical skills trainings delivered by one of the three project supported agro-technology and enterprise development Units. Within this framework, an agro-technology credit facility for Somalia MSMEs has been included within this project to ensure that beneficiaries supported through project activities would have access to an appropriate financing scheme.
Under the overall supervision of OUR CLIENT Project Manager (and Representative) based in Mogadishu, the incumbent shall carry out the following duties:
Project Monitoring and support
· Supervise and coordinate with the project team and project counterparts the activities of the EDUs and their compliances with OUR CLIENT -EDUS contracts
· Supervise project field team in their day – to day activities and operations.
· Support and assist the host institutions and project team in recruitment/ allocation of human resources to be deployed to the project as trainers/ counsellors/ IITPP profilers.
· Implement activities requested by project team necessary for the establishment of the EDUs
· Support project team in Somalia in the execution of all activities leading to the successful implementation of the project. This shall include, but not be limited to, provide support in designing project activities and draft activities background documents such us: briefing notes, aide memoire, presentations, factsheets and reports.
Project Monitoring and Reporting
· Monitor project field activities and collect data from local coordinators
· Feed monitoring and evaluation information into project dedicated M&E system
· Produce project factsheet and brief report for project team and counterparts.
· Support project team on overseeing the deployment of project supported credit facility
· Lead and support project networking with various national project counterparts namely FGS, local States authorities, Somali private sector, Somali diaspora community and Somali civil society.
· Liaise with counterparts at Federal and Local levels and keep them informed on all project related activities and matters. Act as the link between project national stakeholders and OUR CLIENT.
· Keep project team up-to-date on all major industrial development activity impacting Somalia industrial and investment landscape initiated by both national and international community.
· Undertake any other related duties and assignments as may be assigned by the project management team
MINIMUM ORGANIZATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
· Advanced University degree in international development, business administration, public administration or related field.
Technical and Functional Experience:
· A minimum of 6 years of work experience in managing programme /project initiatives.
· Demonstrated experience in the area of industrial development, in engaging with government and project counterparts to advise and consul on topics related to industrial and productive sectors development.
· Demonstrated experience in working in conflict and post conflict environments.
· Experience developing and managing stakeholder relations would be considered an advantage.
· Experience in strategic planning will be considered an advantage.
· Experience creating reports and presenting to senior stakeholders will be considered an advantage.
· Experience in business development will be considered an advantage.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Strong presentation skills.
· Comfortable working on short deadlines.
· Ability to work on multiple tasks at the same time.
· Experience in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
· Strong analytic and problem-solving skills – ability to reason logically, looking at issues from multiple perspectives at a micro and macro level.
· Attention to detail, and high-level of accountability for the quality and timely completion of project reports / documents.
· Fluency in both written and spoken English and Somali is required. Additional languages will be considered an advantage.
- Respect for diversity
- Results orientation and accountability
- Planning and organizing
- Communication and trust
- Team orientation
- Client orientation
- Organizational development and innovation
Managerial competencies (as applicable):
- Strategy and direction
- Managing people and performance
- Judgement and decision making
- Conflict resolution
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using this link: