|Program Officer – Education X 2 Positions -Somaliland|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Education Programme Somaliland||LOCATION: Hargeisa|
|GRADE: 4||POST TYPE: NationalDuration: One Year|
|Child Safeguarding:Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people|
|ROLE PURPOSE: The Program officer – Education under the guidance of the Education Program Manager is responsible for the planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting of the GPE accelerated education Program (including primary, secondary and teacher training and CECs)) in line with and agreed plan of action and budget, donor, SC and government policies, requirements and procedures. The Program officer will provide technical support to partners at regions, districts and school level including teachers focusing on effective planning on school feeding, school WASH related activities, distribution of teaching and learning materials, reporting, school management and leadership, among others. He/she will ensure efficient utilization of Program resources for the intended purpose through effective planning and monitoring. He or she will ensure the use of appropriate, cost effective and innovative approaches especially in improving quality, equity, inclusiveness and performance of students especially those disadvantaged groups. He or she will ensure synergy through collaboration and networking with other actors at region and district level. The Program officer will ensure partnership with relevant partners including regional education offices (REOs) district education officers (DEOs), community based organizations,( CBOs,) Community education committee (CECs), head teachers and children. The Program officer shall ensure linkage among education and other thematic areas at field level. He or she will play key role in representing SCI in relevant networks and forums and engage in advocacy and dialogue with relevant education duty bearers and stakeholders at region and district level.|
|SCOPE OF ROLE:Reports to: [Education Program Coordinator]|
Dimensions: Save the Children works in all regions in Somaliland] with a current staff complement of approximately 120 staff and current expenditure of approximately [US$10 million each year.
Staff directly reporting to this post: Nill
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:Programme Development support|
· Under the guidance of the education Program manager participate in the development of new Program proposals including field base data collections., analyses and interpretation
· Explore , document and disseminate new ideas, lessons and experiences from the day to day Program implementation that will improve the planning and management of accelerated fund Program
· Involve in the process of the assessments, for effective planning, monitoring and reporting purposes
· Ensure linkage, collaboration and partnership among sub sectors and thematic areas and other education actors at all levels
· Play proactive role in addressing key educational challenges such as student drop outs, poor capacity of teachers, girl’s enrolment and participation, education of disadvantaged children (pastoralist children, CWDs) through innovative, cost effective and appropriate means.
· Ensure that he or she has adequate knowledge and understanding on key government education policies and strategies, SCI Global Education strategy, international standards such as education in emergencies, (EiE) minimum standards, sustainable development goals (SDG) , education for All (EFA) goals and other working documents.
· Prepare detailed action plans and for all education subsectors including ( primary, secondary and teacher training) implemented in Somaliland upon approval by the line manager
· Ensure that Program is implemented in accordance with the work plans and the involvement of partners and concerned stakeholders at all levels
· Ensure that SCI implements Program activities in a most efficient, effective and sustainable manner
· Provides technical assistance to stakeholders ( as necessary) and local partners using variety of techniques and approaches in a systematic and planned manner
· Involves in capacity building activities at regional and local level for education authorities, REOs authorities, regional/district supervisors, CEC members, head teachers and teachers based on the capacity building plans and strategies.
· Work closely and in harmony with colleagues in developing clear plans, workable monitoring system, baseline data and reporting systems
· Play proactive role in joint Program planning, review, monitoring and evaluation activities.
· Under the guidance of the education Program manager, he or she ensures that education Programs and components have robust monitoring plans, baselines, reviews and evaluations in line with Program designs and donor guidelines.
· Organize, Participate and play proactive role in periodic Program monitoring and implementation of actions, and recommendations and sharing reports, lessons and best practices among consortium members, education team and education authorities
· Ensure active involvement and participation of beneficiaries and relevant stakeholders including children in the process of Program monitoring
· Ensure the participation of children/target groups in M&E based on CRP principles and approaches
· Manage Program budgets in education efficiently and in line with donor guidelines and Program plans as appropriate and as delegated
· Prepare annual and quarterly budget plans , forecasts and implement after approval
· Monitor and follow up budget, expenditure and financial reports
Representation and Advocacy
· Represent education team in relevant regional forums such as education in emergencies, education sector coordination meetings, teacher training and other working groups and other meetings as appropriate and delegated
· Work closely with other relevant field teams to develop and implement advocacy plans in education in line with the Program Plan and global strategy of Save the Children
· Play proactive role in regional level education advocacy
· Work with the education team members wherever applicable to further Save the Children’s mission for children
· Ensure linkage, synergy and harmonization of approaches and strategies among education stakeholder members
Team work and Self Development
· With the guidance of the Program Manager the Program officer understands and is able to adapt his/her roles and responsibilities in both emergency and development contexts
· Under the guidance of the Program manager explores opportunities for self professional development
· Ensure and contribute for effective and supportive team work and culture among team members
· Familiarize with education policies and strategies, SC global strategies, EiE minimum standards, Etc.
· Play proactive role in sharing good practices, experiences with team members and SC staff
Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team.
· Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
· Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
· Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
· Understands the link between their work and the organisation’s objectives and Adapting
· Problem Solving and Decision Making Applying Technical and Professional Expertise
Problem Solving And Decision Making
Takes effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organisation and making appropriate judgements.
· Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
· Stays with a problem or challenge until a solution is reached or no longer reasonably attainable.
· Knows when to involve others in a decision
· Demonstrates awareness of the wider external influences that impact on decision making
· Simplifies processes and procedures wherever possible
Working Effectively with Others
Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives. Knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
· Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
· Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
· Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
· Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximise impact
Builds and uses sustainable relationships and networks to support the work of Save the Children.
· Actively participates in networks to access and contributes to good practice
· Gathers and distributes organizational intelligence
· Maintains and develops a range of contacts and keeps them informed
Knows what is needed from contacts
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE|
|EXPERIENCE AND SKILLSEssential|
The post holder must have similar experience to the above position with minimum experience of 2 years in Education sector.
|Additional job responsibilitiesThe duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.|
|Equal OpportunitiesThe role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.|
|Child Safeguarding:We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.|
|Health and SafetyThe role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.|
Please Apply through https://stgstcuk.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=19000233&lang=en
Applications will close on the 26 October 2019
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply