Position title: Natural Resource Management Expert – NRM
Duty station: Hargeisa
Organizational unit: NRM
Reports: directly to Head of Project
Overall supervision: Area Manager
Number of direct reports
Project code : SOM1033
Welthungerhilfe is a non-profit organization headquartered in Germany that aims to reduce hunger and poverty. It has its ETH/SOM Regional Office in Addis and a Programme Office in Hargeisa, Somaliland. Welthungerhilfe has been implementing development projects in Somaliland since 2001. Multi-sectoral projects have been
implemented in the Awdal, Marodijeh, Togdheer & Sanaag Regions for the past 18 years. Presently, Welthungerhilfe has implementing projects in Awdal and Marodijeh
Regions focusing on Wash, environmental and agriculture projects. The projects are funded by The Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development of the German Government (BMZ), GIZ and WFP.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
1. Designs appropriate methods and tools and coordinate participatory site selection, studies and investigations of degraded lands
2. Organizes climatic information from relevant stakeholders and stations and make use of them for WHH project purposes
3. Produces narrations on existing land use situations and land use maps for selected watersheds
4. Applies suitable environmental, engineering and agronomic measures and produces development maps for selected watershed
5. Proposes pragmatic methods at all levels to solve water and soil management problems and to assure coordination of resource protection activities
6. Strongly works to design environmental solutions for sustainable agriculture in the context of climate change
7. Supports the application of flood-based production systems
8. Participates on work teams to plan, develop, and implement water and land management programs and strategies
9. Coordinates the establishment and functionality of village level disaster management committee and properly links to all levels
10. Designs and implements local context and scientific approaches for disaster management components
11. Designs and applies cash transfer mechanisms for soil and water conservation and environmental protection activities
12. Participates in forums and workshops related to disaster management and environmental protection subjects.
13. Adopts good practices to be applied in the WHH projects
14. Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Second degree in environmental protection, natural resource management or related fields.
Seven years’ practical experience in planning and implementation of environmental protection and natural resources components
Experience in disaster management system
Practical knowledge in participatory watershed planning and implementation
Experience in integrated natural resource management system
Demonstrated experience in implementation of natural resource development activities
Good experience in runoff farming methods
Experience in participatory forest management system and implementation of non-timber forest products
Knowledge and skill in application of soil and water conservation technologies and methods
Report writing and data management skill.
Fluency in English and Somali as an Advantage,
Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
Professionalism – Displays mastery of subject matter
Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of WHH.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should submit their application (Cover letter,
updated CV and contacts of 3 professional referees) by email to email@example.com with
the subject of the email as “ Natural Resource Management Expert “ by no later than on 01st December
2019. All applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will
be contacted for the next stage of the selection process.