General Position Summary
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator is a key position in the Cesvi Somalia Mission responsible for cross-cutting programmatic information management, monitoring and evaluation, ensuring that information collected is reflected upon, used to improve ongoing programs, and is incorporated into consistently high-quality reports and proposal development. The MEAL Coordinator will be responsible for developing (in partnership with project staff), coordinating, maintaining and constantly improving the nation-wide M&E system, as well as training M&E staff in each office. In addition, the position holder is responsible for ensuring that the reports generated by each field office are timely and of high quality and that the data can be validated. This will be achieved through staff capacity building and necessary training
- The Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Coordinator is responsible for supporting the Somalia Programme teams in the monitoring, implementation and evaluation of activities through data management (data entry collection, analysis, interpretation and reporting), developing, updating and maintaining databases and proper project documentation.
- The job holder will be responsible for documentation and sharing of key learning for the improvement of the different projects, as well as in-house training of staff on MEAL processes and approaches.
- Support programme portfolio implementation according to the plan of action;
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of implemented projects.
- Build the capacity of staff through training and support for effective implementation of the M&E systems, including; digital data gathering, data quality management, routine data quality assessment (including data validation, follow up and post-implementation monitoring;
- Ensure proper filing of documents;
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting as per Cesvi and other stakeholders’ requirements and expectations.
- Ensure adherence with Cesvi policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines;
- Implement and contextualize Cesvi M&E framework and SOPs;
- Ensure consistency of approach at all levels in the M&E in collaboration with programme staff using M&E tools developed;
- Oversee the systematic and continuous data collection and analysis on the progress of activities over time and monitor results in terms of timeliness, quality and accuracy in line with the logical framework approaches(LFAs), best practice and project management;
- Involve in project development and ensure a quality proposal are designed;
- Support and oversee periodic assessments including baseline, midterm and end line evaluation of projects implemented in Somali .
- Liaising with Cesvi M&E officers and other partners to maximise the benefits of data collection, analysis and reporting;
- Provide technical support on M&E and evidence-based recommendations to the relevant Project Coordinators and Head of programs.
- Design tools, checklists and schedules for collecting data at the input, output and outcome levels in association with the relevant programme staff and based on the changing needs and requirements of Somali Programme;
- Undertake data collection directly or in conjunction with programme staff as required;
- Support in the writing and compilation of weekly, monthly, quarterly, midterm, annual narrative and end of project reports;
- Prepare and report on M&E activities and plans of action at Cesvi meetings and other related platforms for information sharing;
- Support CO M&E team, researchers in designing and disseminating research studies by providing relevant input.
- Organising quarterly Monitoring and Evaluation group meetings;
- Preparing relevant data to prepare case stories and work closely with the Media and Communication team;
- Carrying out routine field visits, visits preceding baseline and end line surveys to collect data for potential case studies, taking progress monitoring photos;
- Update the monthly activity and/or output trackers in order to feed into the M&E component of the quarterly progress report;
- Report the findings or trends from data analysis and identifying the need for further analysis or evaluation as required;
- Coach and mentor programme and field staff in M&E methods as required;
- Provide capacity building training on Project Cycle Management, data collection and analysis.
- Share learning from M&E process and document case/success stories overall programming share with the wider team;
- Work collaboratively with different programmes for strengthening integration and cross-learning;
- Develop and lead the M&E team as per the concept proposed
- Any other duties that may develop over the duration of the contract and assigned by the line Manager
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters or equivalent in a field related to Humanitarian or International Development or relevant fields is preferred.
- 5 to 7 years of experience providing coordination or management support to program implementation
- Experience working in Somalia South central region and high risk context preferred.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with internal and external stakeholders, and to play a leadership role in convening groups. Astute skills in relationship building and coordination.
- Extensive experience with monitoring and evaluation, information management, and other learning efforts.
- Excellent writing and communications skills required.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently within the project sites and field locations within Somalia, including travelling to insecure environments, is required.
- Fluency in English is required. Proficiency in Somali language is a plus.
Persons qualified for this position are invited to submit their CV (including 3 referees) and cover letter (single document) to CESVI to the e-mail address:
Please quote the Position (i.e. MEAL Coordinator-Somalia) in the subject line of your e-mail application. Please do not apply twice, applicants should not attach certificates at this stage. Inquiries on phone or e-mail will not be entertained.
Closing date for applications is 18 January 2020 at midnight (EAT). However, Cesvi reserves the right to close the vacancy before the above mentioned date in case a large number of applications is received. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
CESVI is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
CESVI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training).