Duty Station: Madawe Island South Kismayo
Reports to: Head Nurse
Contract type: full term
Number of Positions: 1
The Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS) is an independent, non-political humanitarian organization that was founded in April 1963 and was established with presidential decree No. 187 in 1965. It was then recognized by the ICRC in 1969 and in the same year became a member of the International Federation of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent societies.
The Somali Red Crescent Society is currently looking for a qualified candidate to fill the vacant position of Midwife in Afgoye Clinic.
Provide comprehensive advice, care and support to women and their babies during pregnancy, labour and early postnatal period. Conduct a clean, safe delivery and provide care to the newborn. Refer emergency cases to effectively prevent maternal and neonatal mortality and morbidity in compliance with SRCS health policy guidelines and established midwifery care standards and treatment protocols.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Programme Planning & Implementation
- Diagnose, examine monitor and assess care requirements for women during labour and prepare a care plan for childbirth including advice on hygiene and nutrition
- Identify women with greater vulnerability and risks and refer them for specialized care provider
- Provide information, emotional support and reassurance to women in labour and their partners
- Monitor and administer medication, injections and intravenous infusions during labour
- Provide support to women during labour and birth to ensure normal delivery of the new born
- Manage complications in childbirth, according to the principles of obstetric care
- Support parents to cope with miscarriage, termination, stillbirth and neonatal death
- Monitor progress of the mother during postnatal period and advice on infant care
- Raise requisitions for replenishment of drugs, consumable supplies for childbirth and care
- Compile accurate data on all childbirth cases and prepare monthly reports
- Attend deliveries both normal &obstetric emergencies
- Participate in the development, implementation and evaluation of programmes for supporting women during pregnancy, labour and early postnatal period
- Identify capacity-building needs of the auxiliary and volunteer nursing team and ensure they are properly trained and well supported to implement programme activities
- Participate in emergency preparedness, rapid assessments and emergency responses
Strategic Partnerships & Donor Relationships
- Develop and enhance relationships with strategic partners, donors, local authorities and community leaders to maximize support for maternal and child health
- Represent SRCS in relevant conferences, seminars, workshops and meetings
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the SRSC Senior Management
Minimum Requirements for this Position:
- Degree /Diploma in Nursing/Midwifery with experience in maternal and child health or equivalent qualifications.
- minimum Twoyears’ experience in managing labour and delivery, including monitoring vital signs, assessing progress as well as physically managing deliveries
- Demonstrate proficiency in Somali and English languages
- Demonstrating consistency in upholding integrity and ethics
- Effective communications and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to the fundamental principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their updated CV, cover letter, and copy of their certificates to:email@example.com
Deadline for Applications: December 26-30 2019
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.