Overview of position
Our client supports the Ministry of Health to strengthen health service capacity at the border points to effectively prevent, detect and respond to the infectious diseases and other public health threads. Our client provides; integrated surveillance and disease control training for the frontline health staff working in border areas, necessary medical and health commodities for the border posts, analyses and reports on population mobility trends in priority health zones to inform preparedness efforts, as well as risk communication assistance to sensitize cross border population and neighbouring communities.
Under the direct supervision of the Migration Health Coordinator, and overall supervision of the Emergency Coordinator the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the development and implementation of epidemic preparedness and response activities across multiple provinces:
- Develop, coordination and implementation of our client’s epidemic preparedness and response activities in Somalia, including identification of geographic areas of intervention, conducting assessments, and developing interventions.
- Strengthen epidemic preparedness and response capacity of staff at national, provincial and field locations.
- Support and actively be engaged with the Health Cluster Emergency Preparedness and Response Working Group. This includes developing and coordinating specific outbreak preparedness and response programming, including developing strategies, identifying geographic areas of intervention, developing activities such rapid response teams and outbreak response activities including contact tracing, in coordination with the Health Sector lead and WHO medical logistics, WASH, epidemiology and Operations teams.
- Support and actively engage in all platforms for epidemic preparedness and response, including the preparedness working group.
- Coordinate closely with internal and external partners including the Ministry of Health, the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the COVID-19 response team, and others to promote and ensure harmonization of preparedness activities.
- Develop an action plan for epidemic preparedness and response activities based on our client’s projects and in line with our client and donor regulations.
- Develop/adapt health facility, point of entry, and referral system assessments tools and lead assessments in priority provinces and health zones.
- Develop/adapt training material on infection prevention and control (IPC) and integrated disease surveillance and response (IDSR)
- Organize trainings for health workers at health facilities, point of entry staff, and Ministry of Health staff on key topics including IPC and IDSR
- Contribute to the development of standard operating procedures, guidelines and other technical documents for epidemic preparedness and response.
- Coordinate with MoH, CDC, WHO to promote cross-border collaboration focusing on enhancing preparedness, surveillance and response at the major POEs (airports) including the organization of cross-border meetings, trainings, and workshop for government officials and partners.
- Identify procurement and logistics needs for strengthening preparedness capacities of health facilities and points if entry including POE kits, IPC kits, and others.
- Support organization and facilitation of population mobility assessments including population mobility mappings and population flow monitoring; identify geographic areas for population mobility assessments; analyse findings and prepare reports.
- Coordinate and provide trainings for our client national health staff on emergency preparedness and response
- Represent our client at coordination meetings with key stakeholders such as other UN agencies, local government, donors and other stakeholders to promote delivery of best practice in an emergency response setting;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
· Medical Doctor with a university degree in Epidemiology or Public Health or a related field from an accredited institution with a minimum of four years of experience in supporting the district or national health surveillance program.
· Operational and field experience in outbreak preparedness and response, in public health, epidemiology, and risk communication interventions;
· Knowledge of Infection, Prevention and Control (IPC) measures for outbreak response and preparedness.
· Operational and field experience in migration, refugee and displaced persons’ health-related issues, programme development, including experience in evaluating health programs and protocols;
· Knowledge of structures and functions of national and international health agencies, donors and organizations;
· Familiarity with the health sector in the African region, with DRC experience an advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to Apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using this link: