Position Title: MEAL Officer
Duty station: Mogadishu/Galkacyo /Kismayu
Position Category: Full Time
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
[Describe overview of job missioGENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Officer is an important position in the Mercy Corps Somalia program responsible for providing support and participating in country-level monitoring and evaluation (M&E) department, ensuring quality in the portfolio’s M&E, and timely delivery of M&E reporting to donors, as well as information management via Mercy Corps’ proprietary Tola systems, and other such systems as the MEAL Officer may design and implement. The MEAL Officer’s role is to support and promote coordination of the technical areas across M&E staff and programs. The MEAL Officer will also support capacity building and mentoring strategy for Mercy Corps Somalia staff on themes related to monitoring, evaluation, accountability, learning and adaptive management. As well as beneficiaries’ accountability.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategic Leadership and Accountability
- Ensure programs are effectively implementing required M&E systems and tools.
- Compile program-level innovations and feedback, incorporating it into the broader country-level M&E system
- Implement Mercy Corps Somalia’s multi-level Community Accountability and Reporting Mechanism (CARM).
- Participate in internal and external MEAL-related working groups and maintain close working relationships with MEAL counterparts in other relevant international NGOs, local NGOs and associations in Somalia.
- Promote and learn the use of M&E and ICT best practices.
- Execute an office-wide M&E agenda, with prioritized subjects of strategic assessment and evaluation.
- Participate in recruitment, training and supervision of enumerators
Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Information Management
- With the MEAL Manager and Team Leader, support Mercy Corps Somalia in the setup and implementation of a holistic MEAL system that uses open source software and flexible cloud solutions to more accurately collect, monitor, verify and document program activities.
- Contribute to program design, ensuring adherence to Mercy Corps M&E best practices and minimum standards, including the use of standardized indicators, form templates and documentation methodologies.
- Support in ensuring accuracy and comprehensiveness of country-level reporting on indicators such as beneficiary numbers, design for impact indicators and other information as needed.
- Support in the development of a mobile data collected capability, as well as relational database design
Capacity Building and Mentoring
- Support implementation of the M&E staff and partner capacity-building strategy that promotes a culture of learning and adaption through systematic analysis of program data.
- Provide training and monitoring in the development of M&E plans, M&E tools as well as survey design, methodology, data collection and analysis and other skills as required for assessing the impact of programs.
- Under the direction of the MEAL Manager and in coordination with the Team Leader, support efforts to promote and share internal learning.
- Work closely with Program Managers and Human Resources to ensure that accountability issues are incorporated in all enumerators scope of work
- Contribute to the knowledge management repository with best practices in M&E and ICT and ensure that is tis accessible to all staff and partners.
- Assist in maintaining proper and standardized filing system for storing program documents according to Mercy Corps Program Management Minimum Standard.
- Participate in updating the google drive and ensure the information are up to date for all the running and closed projects.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: MEAL Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: All Somalia staffs
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/S or equivalent in development studies, research methods, statistics, economics, social sciences, monitoring and evaluation, project management or other relevant field required. Post-graduate degree preferred.
- 3-5 years’ experience in monitoring and evaluation with proven use of database, data-visualization, project management, and other relevant IT platforms.
- Excellent written English skills, with proven ability to produce final documents (such as logframes, results framework, etc.) for donor consumption
- Successful experience with the adoption of mobile data collection tools like Open Data Kit (ODK) and Ona including XLS Forms authoring.
- Experience with theoretical and practical background in research or MEAL and knowledge of qualitative and quantitative methodologies and techniques used.
- Excellent quantitative skills and experience with Excel, Access, and statistical packages including Stata and/or SPSS, and Google Earth Engine.
- Experience with data management including the ability to structure and collate data sets for ease of analysis.
- Demonstrated understanding of intermediate statistics and ability to summarize and make predictions from multiple data sets.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan and implement research activities creatively, as well as possess the ability to analyze data and utilize lessons learned for the continuous improvement of program implementation and to promote a culture of learning.
- Proven ability to work productively with a variety of stakeholders to run participatory processes and meet tight deadlines with an emphasis on producing quality products.
- Actively promote communication, learning and accountability.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex programming and volatile environments.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications should submit their CV and Motivation letter attached as one to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than December 18th 2019. Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted for Interview. Please indicate the title of the position in the subject line and any incomplete applications will be disregarded.