Makerere University DAAD Scholarships for Sub-Saharan Africans
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in collaboration with Makerere University Directorate of Research and Graduate Training (DRGT) is once again in a position to offer up to 6 PhD scholarships in Plant Breeding and up to 8 Masters scholarships in Environment and Natural Resources for the 2020 intake:
Makerere University, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.
Selection of candidates:
A panel constituted by DRGT will screen, rank, pre-select and short-list double the number of candidates as the offer (i.e. 12 and 16 candidates for PhDs and masters, respectively).
Shortlist will be based on the quality of the applications, gender balance and the rule that one third of the applicants shall be from another institution and/or country.
In addition to the specific application requirements of the study programme/course you are applying for, please note the following DAAD application requirements:
- Citizenship of a country in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Bachelor’s and / or Master’s degree qualification with at least above average results
- Proof of admission to Makerere University to the desired degree programme or official letter assuring admission
- For PhD applicants: Evidence of being a staff of a public or private university (or candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment).Duration and commencement:The awards are available for up to a maximum of two years (Master) and three years (Ph.D.).The scholarship is initially granted for one year and may be extended upon individual request and receipt of a complete application by using a form to be availed at the appropriate time in the DAAD Portal.
The application for renewal has to be submitted at least one month before the scholarship period expires.
Please note that this is not a full scholarship, as DAAD will only provide funding as stated in the scholarship information sheet.
The value of the scholarship is in the information sheet.
Eligible programmes and specific requirements:
- Master of Science in Environment and Natural Resources
- PhD in Plant Breeding
- Please see Downloads for detailsEqual opportunities:Female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.Application instructions:
This is the first stage of application.
Written applications should be addressed to the Director DRGT, Makerere University and accompanied with certified copies of bachelor/masters degree transcripts and certificates, at least a provisional admission letter or evidence of application for admission, evidence of teaching employment in a University (PhD applicants), and two referees letters.
In the second stage of application, the shortlisted candidates will be guided by DRGT to log onto a DAAD web portal (https://portal.daad.de/irj/portal) to register and submit an application and appropriate documents to DAAD Nairobi (see information sheet for scholars, 2019/20; Section 2. DAAD Application documents). DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
Soft copies should be E-mailed to: conference[at]rgt.mak.ac.ug and for MSc environmental management (majaliwam[at]gmail.com and namaalwa.justine[at]gmail.com); for PhD Plant Breeding (prubaihayo[at]gmail.com).
Applications should be submitted in soft (scanned, PDF) or hard copies to Ms. Grace Akol, Directorate of Research and Graduate Training, Research and Publications Office, Lincoln Flat B5, Makerere University, not later than 5.00 pm on Friday 14th February, 2020.