The Pharo Foundation (hereafter “the Foundation”) is a privately funded entrepreneurial organisation that runs philanthropic programmes as well as for-profit social enterprises. The Vision of The Foundation is an economically vibrant and inclusive Africa. The Mission is to achieve our vision by investing in Africa’s human and physical capital with a strong focus on job creation.
In 2019, in line with its growth strategy, The Pharo Foundation took over this prestigious school, along with the Kindergarten and the Secondary School in Sheikh. The school was built to address the educational gap evident in primary schools. The school is built on an acre of land located in Shacab Area – Koodbuur District.
The Pharo Primary School implements a formal education programme for the primary level (grade 1 to grade 8). The school has 16 classrooms and teaches more than 540 students between the ages of 6 – 13. The Pharo Primary School delivers an integrated curriculum which covers different development areas that are designed for the 21st century learner. The education programme includes studies in Somali, Arabic, English, Mathematics, Humanities, Science & Technology and Creative Arts. The school is equipped with supporting facilities which include a computer lab, a science lab, an arts lab, an outdoor playground, and a library
Headquartered in London, the Foundation also has an operational HQ in Nairobi and offices in Addis Ababa, Assosa and Hargeisa.
Position: Lower Primary English Teacher
Reporting to: The Lower Primary Head Teacher
This is an exciting opportunity to play a meaningful role in the growth of The Pharo Primary school and the pursuit of its goals.
We are seeking a passionate English teacher, who thoroughly enjoys teaching the English Language, excels in their ability to reach and support students and takes endless pride in designing inspiring and engaging English Language lesson plans and teaching units. We are looking for an individual with an outstanding track record in teaching English lessons to primary school students. He/she should engage students in meaningful and fun activities, creating an environment conducive to learning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach Primary level English skills including reading, writing, and speaking.
- Plan and develop lesson plans, teaching outlines, and schemes of work
- Execute lessons efficiently using different styles of teaching depending on the content.
- Engage students to ensure a lively classroom atmosphere.
- Instruct students about the structure and content of the English language.
- Emphasize the rules of correct pronunciation, spelling, composition, grammar, and sentence construction.
- Employ a variety of methodologies in teaching and instructing pupils, including demonstrations, discussions, and lectures.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Plan, prepare and deliver instructional activities that facilitate active learning experiences
- Be a mentor to the students by offering student support, counseling students with academic problems, and providing student encouragement.
- Utilize educational equipment, such as materials, books, and other learning aids.
- Maintain and update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by The Pharo Foundation and Somaliland educational policies and school regulations.
- Planning, developing, and executing lessons that reflect the School curriculum and the Ministry of Educations’ core educational standards.
- The ideal person should possess, at minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in Education and preferably a specialization in English Language or Literature.
- A minimum of five years teaching experience in Primary school level education.
- A thorough understanding of best practices in teaching.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Email usage, Internet searching and willing to learn new computer skills
- Flexibility and high adaptation skills to work successfully in an unpredictable school setting.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills for interaction with students, staff and parents.
- Behaves in an exemplary manner and at all times acting as a role model within and outside the Pharo School.
- Self-assured, internally motivated, and passionate educator with outstanding communication skills, driven to succeed and make a difference.
- Must be a good moral character, honest, trustworthy and dependable.
- Have a caring and nurturing attitude towards young learners.
- Strong leadership skills.
Salary and Benefits
- The salary and benefits package is competitive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Medical insurance is provided in accordance with The Primary School’s Health policy.
This position is open to both female and male applicants, with female applicants being strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send the information listed below, as a single PDF file, to the following email address:
- A detailed CV and Cover Letter,
- A PDF file of a recent lesson plan or unit plan that you have created and represents your best teaching work. The lesson/unit plan should highlight your strengths as a teacher and be accompanied with a short explanation (maximum 300 words) of why this lesson/unit plan was selected and submitted.
- A one-page list of five (5) references with current addresses, phone numbers and email contacts.
The application deadline is 211st July 2020.
Review of applications will begin as soon as they are received, and only complete (CV, cover letter, list of references and lesson plan) applications will be reviewed. In the event that an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, we reserve the right to appoint before the deadline. For this reason, we encourage interested candidates to apply at the earliest possible time. Due to the high volume of applications, we regret that we will only be able to contact short-listed candidates.