Local Researcher/Facilitator – Garowe, Somalia
About the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES): Together we build democracies that deliver for all. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral institutions/systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions. As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by providing technical assistance; empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process; and applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle. We believe that trusted electoral institutions deliver credible elections, effective governing institutions are accountable to the people they serve, all people safely participate in civic and political life on an equal basis and technology, information and data positively serve elections and democracy. Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries – from developing to mature democracies – to develop and implement comprehensive, collaborative democracy solutions.
IFES requires the services of a Local Researcher/Facilitator to support a remote assessment funded by the U.K. Department of International Development and Adam Smith International, through the Somalia Stability Fund. The Researcher/Facilitator will assist with conduct of research on local and state elections in Puntland, Somalia, and support coordination of remote, high-level discussions necessary to complete a technical assessment on this subject in Puntland State. This assignment is expected to last for approximately two weeks.
Please note: IFES is recruiting for two positions—this posting for a Researcher/Facilitator, and another posting for an Interpreter/Translator. A single candidate who can fill both roles is strongly preferred. IFES encourages qualified applicants to apply for both positions.
This support will include, but is not limited to:
- In close coordination with IFES’ Elections Technical Advisor and other personnel, rapidly conducting, analyzing and reporting on research regarding state and federal electoral laws, regulations, planning, budgeting, other related matters, and the practical context for these subjects, including security, economic and social considerations;
- Collecting primary source material as appropriate, and sharing findings with IFES on an ongoing basis;
- Coordinating high-level remote meetings and communication—via phone, Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp, email, or other systems—with the Transitional Puntland Electoral Commission, other relevant government and civil society stakeholders, and other interlocutors as needed;
- Assisting with translation of documents and written communication, English to Somali and Somali to English, as needed throughout the period of the contract. Translation of documents may include legal documents, technical documents related to democracy and governance, email correspondence, questionnaires and responses, and other formats as needed.
- Assisting IFES’ Elections Technical Advisor as needed in preparation of draft and final reports and presentations based on the research and analysis conducted; and
- Conducting these services with the strictest conditions of confidentiality, in relation to all written and verbal communication, all documents, and all other aspects of the consultant’s contractual scope of work
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Full, professional, written and verbal fluency in both Somali and English is mandatory.
- The consultant must have at least five years of combined practical and/or research experience with democracy and governance in Puntland State and Somalia, preferably with strong experience regarding elections and relevant legal provisions
- The consultant must have demonstrated experience preparing technical assessments and research reports regarding democracy, governance and elections in Puntland and Somalia
- The consultant must be based in Garowe, Puntland State, Somalia.
- The consultant must be able to provide their own computer, peripheral equipment, reliable internet connection and up to date or otherwise fully compatible version of Microsoft Office and up to date anti-virus software.
- Experience working with international implementing partners is strongly preferred.
IFES is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.”