AMOUD LEGAL AID CLINIC
Amoud Legal Clinic is established in September 2009 with the agreement (Micro-Capital Grant Agreement) between Amoud University and UNDP, including becoming partners with pact world, and American Bar Association (ABA), for implementing expanding access to justice program (EAJ) Amoud Legal Aid Clinic comprised, Criminal unit defense, Civil Litigation unit, access to justice and awareness unit, and Human Rights Unit. Free legal aid to people in need of legal aid services, particularly to, refugees, IDPs Minority and extremely vulnerable members of the host communities in matters relating to criminal cases, civil cases, and customary law, and provides legal counseling and mediations where necessary. Legal Clinic, also advocates and provides legal trainings, awareness raising to the host and refugee communities in rural areas, or remote areas in Zailac, Lughaya, Baki, Boon, Harirad, Borama, Dilla, Quljeed and Wajale.
AMOUD UNIVESITY Legal aid Clinic office, provides for Free Legal Aid Services and legal Awareness Campaigns for outreach communities(remote and coastal areas) is aimed at improving access to justice to vulnerable, voiceless and disadvantaged groups who can’t afford to hire a lawyer. Amoud University, Legal Aid Clinic, is seeking applications for a qualified 6.Senior Lawyer for its free legal aid services, legal assistance and legal awareness campaigns The senior lawyer will provide free legal representation for the indigent peoples, . He/she will represent cases in all levels of Somaliland courts and also will involve all legal clinic criminal and human rights unit legal representations, detention and prison monitoring and community legal empowerment activities.
Position: Amoud Legal Aid Clinic ‘’ALAC’’ In both Criminal and, civil Substantive Unit Is Recruiting For Six Senior Lawyers, Six paralegal, while also recruiting one personal finance officer, one Admin and HR, all position or applicants Will Be Based In Awdal And Salsal Regions But Also Frequently Traveled To Other Regions Of Somaliland In Case Of Need.
Amoud Legal Clinic objectives include:
- Access to justice and legal aid improved for individual who are in Borama prison, through profession of free legal aid assistance and representation by the legal clinic, the focuses will be on vulnerable and marginalized groups.
- The legal education of third year law students improved and broadened. The legal clinic will provide law students with a firsthand experience of the way Somaliland legal system functions.
- The knowledge of civil society toward rights of women and children and the citizens’ rights in general. Moreover, it will be conducted legal information public campaign to enhance access to justice and legal aid development.
The specific aims of the project are:
- To ensure that vulnerable persons in conflict with the law have access to advice and information about their legal rights and the opportunity to seek redress;
- To use the evidence gathered from the work of the paralegals to inform the relevant government bodies about the impact of laws and policies and to make recommendations for improvement;
- To create public awareness of human rights legal education and legal empowerment.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Lawyer will work under the overall guidance and supervision of the Case Management Supervisor, and is mainly responsible for providing legal support to Amoud Legal aid Clinic beneficiaries, including counseling and possible further legal actions. As part of the case management team, the Lawyers will assist beneficiaries with legal needs such as legal representation for both or civil documentation and criminal defenses including taking third year law student to court for trial practicing .
Legal counseling and legal representation
- Provide information, counselling and further legal support to Amoud University Legal clinic beneficiaries as part of the case management process.
- Participate in the management of cases with need in civil documentation including necessary follow-up within agreed deadlines.
- Liaise closely with Case Workers and Community Mobilizers in order to provide accurate and updated advice for beneficiaries.
- Conduct legal research and analysis when necessary and for developing training materials.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and assess new and better ways to assist.
- Provide legal representation for cases of children who need to possess necessary civil documentations.
- Prepare for trial including drafting legal documents; gathering evidence; conducting legal research; and interviewing clients and witnesses
- Undertake police stations/detention service centers and prisons monitoring in all Awdal and Salal regions to update the human rights situations, and provide both legal education and legal empowerment, including capacitating legal awareness
- Coordinate with Case Workers and other partners providing legal service, or legal actors deliver capacity
- Develop weekly and monthly work plan for identification and intake of legal cases and assistance provided to reach the number of the targeted children with no civil documentation.
- Coordinates with all relevant stakeholders (Local authority, NGOs, etc.) and to ensure effective implementation of legal activities.
- Manage regulatory and compliance related services, and Facilitate innovative solutions to client problems.
- Offer legal representation to clients in court proceedings on civil or criminal matters
- Coordinate the collection, preservation and management of all information and documentation collected from the field and specifically from beneficiaries.
- Participate in regular case management meeting of the project staffs.
- Coordinate with respective caseworkers to weekly and monthly report the status of the legal counselling, awareness raising and court representation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor degree in Law and licensed from Somaliland committee for disciplinary lawyers
- Minimum 3years of work experience in in practicing law (Practitioner degree) in various case types, mainly on supporting acquisition of civil documentation
- Native Somali, Fluent in both English and Somali (speaking and writing).
- Computer literate mainly in Microsoft Office package.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility
- Ability to mobilize and engage in community dialogue and discussion.
- Ability to negotiate and mediate sensitive matters at community level.
- Well-organized, self-motivated and ability to work in a team.
- Knowledge of Somaliland Legal System and international human right Legal Frameworks
- Practical working experience in lawyer, judge, and prosecutor. In case you are a lawyer you should have a valid practicing license.
- Desire and demonstrated passion to assist Somaliland’s Poor and extremely vulnerable communities.
- Computer literate with ability to use Microsoft word, excel etc.
- Native Somali speaker and proficiency in English
- Work experience with human rights agencies.
- Experience engaging with the justice sector and/or civil society in Somaliland
- Demonstrated understanding of the rule of law in preventing and protecting vulnerable members of the community
- Knowledge and familiarity with informal justice and alternative dispute resolution mechanisms; and specialized experience in land rights, SGBV laws and IDP Rights
How to Apply
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.