The purpose of the consultancy is to develop the capacity and competence of the Criminal Investigation Departments of the Somalia Police Force at both federal and state level. As part of the overall CIP, UNODC are tasked with providing trained investigators for the federal and state investigation departments.
The consultant will be part of a team responsible for the design and delivery of the Investigators Development Course 1& 2 (IDC), utilising the current investigation training curriculum. The role will be based on a mentorship system, whereby the consultant will mentor Somali Police Force trainers delivering the IDC1 & 2 on a daily basis. The role will be based at the General Kahiye Academy, Mogadishu. There may also be a requirement for occasional travel to other federal member states.
The consultant will also form part of the larger CIP implementation team and will be engaged in developing a range of investigation training courses. This will include the Investigator Continuation Development Programme (ICDP) for investigators post attendance of the IDC2.
The assigned tasks are in line with current reform of the Somali Police Force (SPF), under the new policing model (NPM), ratified at the London Somalia Conference, 2017. The capacity building of SPF investigation departments and units is also supported under the Comprehensive Agreement on Security (CAS), strand 2 (b).
- Specific Deliverables to be Performed by the Consultant:
Within assigned authority, the consultant, in consultation with the CIP implementing team, Associate Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Officer, and under the overall supervision of the Programme Management Officer, will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develop a workplan in coordination with the Somalia Police Force and UNODC for the implementation of Investigator Development Course 1 & 2
- Create a full training timetable and training programme for a 12-week Investigator Development 1 & 2
- Provide on-going strategic and operational advice to the SPF trainers, UNODC implementation team and SPF Planning and Training Directorate concerning investigation training;
- Develop systems to monitor use, condition and maintenance of equipment, hardware and software requirements of investigation training.
- Contribute towards the creation and design of investigation training courses for the SPF under the CIP
- Expected tangible and measurable output(s)/deliverable(s):
- Workplan developed
- Workplan on overall assignment developed, in consultation with the UNODC implementation team, Somalia Police Force and presented to UNODC for approval.
- Update the Workplan on weekly basis and submit to UNODC.
- Review of existing basic investigator curriculum and identify training methodology and equipment requirements –
- Conduct an assessment of the current training material.
- Conduct an assessment of training materials required
- Develop proposals and plans for the delivery of the IDC 1 & 2
- Create a timetable and training plan for the IDC 1 & IDC 2
- Post review, identify training plans for each day of the 12-week course, 6 days per week
- Include training methodology and equipment needs on each training plan
- To include assessment procedures and associated papers for trainee investigators
- Submit to UNODC implementation team for approval
- Deliver the IDC 1 & IDC 2
- Prepare all necessary documentation and equipment for IDC 1 & 2
- Deliver the IDC 1 & 2 course incorporating ongoing student assessment
- Incorporate an end of course examination, pass or fail
- Complete all investigator portfolio documents for use in PDP