SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organization to which all SOS Children’s Villages including SOS Children’s Villages Somalia Association is affiliated. SOS Children’s Villages Somalia has officially been working in Somalia since 1985. SOS is currently working in 135 countries worldwide. We are committed to the welfare of children – often throughout the whole of their childhood, and to strengthening families and communities as a preventive measure in the fight against abandonment and social neglect. We also run education and health facilities. With the SOS Children’s Village concept, the organization pioneered a family approach to the long-term care of orphaned and abandoned children. SOS Children’s Villages upholds child protection policy and our selection processes reflect our commitment to the protection of children and youth from abuse. SOS Currently works in Banadir Bay/Bakool Regoins.
SOS Children’s Villages invites applications from suitably qualified and interested candidates who fulfill the eligibility criterion for the below one position.
Job Title: Laboratory Technician (1 Position)
Location: Heliwa, Mogadishu
As the Lab Technologists for SOS you are expected to be able to perform all laboratory Diagnosis Tests independently, manage laboratory services and ensure internal and external laboratory quality control.
The employee will work under the guidance of the Lab in charge and he. Will also provide assistance to the doctor and the other medical care team where appropriate, recognizing that the effective management of hospital depends on effective communication and participation of all members of the team
Report to: Lab in Charge
Key Area of responsibility:
- Performs a variety of technical laboratory procedures according to Medical Center, laboratory and national standards to obtain patient specimens using to ensure specimen quality used to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Responsible for accurately completing records and reports and other statistical information for master files or databases.
- Follows laboratory policy for data retrieval, record keeping, specimen, and identification, requisition, reporting, charting, and billing procedures.
- Maintains positive working relationship with the medical staff and medical centre personnel
- Uses positive interpersonal skills to educate/support lab customers and promote success of team members. Uses clear and concise verbal and written communication
- with staff and the public.
- Acts independently on supervisor’s direction and accepts responsibility of the adopted policy and procedures of the medical centre and the laboratory
QUALITY CONTROL/QUALITY IMPROVEMENT
- Does not report patient results unless quality control data are within accepted parameters.
- Recognizes out of control values, takes corrective action, and notifies others of
SAFETY AND EDUCATION
- Complies with laboratory safety procedures.
- Possesses adequate knowledge of instrumentation, theory, and application of new and existing tests.
PROBLEM SOLVING/CRITICAL THINKING
- Assumes responsibility to resolve problems. Performs required preventative maintenance procedures in laboratory instrumentation. Investigates and resolves technical problems, consults supervisor if resolution involves policy or procedure modification.
- Identifies real or potential situations or equipment failure, attempts to resolve within area of specialty or knowledge and refers complex issues to appropriate source.
Qualification & Experience
- Candidate must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Laboratory sciences
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a busy hospital or referral health Centre laboratory
- Experience in laboratory SOPs
- Implementing laboratory quality control
Competencies – knowledge, skills, abilities
- Excellent command in Somali/English languages
- Computer skills (Ms word, excel, internet, computer based lab results ordering and reporting)
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Critical thinking
Child Safeguarding Policy: SOS Children’s Villages organization is committed to safeguarding the rights of the children and therefore, is expected that every individual who joins SOS Children’s Villages Somalia understands his/her responsibility in protecting and keeping children always safe.
Interested applicants should send their applications with a CV and scanned copies of your academic and professional certificates indicating telephone numbers and three referees to: this email firstname.lastname@example.org
Indicating with subject line of the position.
Closing date is 10th January,2020
Competent Female candidates are encourage to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.