UNIVERSITY OF HARGEISA
LEGAL CLINIC, HUMAN RIGHTS UNIT
Terms of Reference –Junior paralegal
University of Hargeisa(UOH) Legal Clinic was established in 2002 with support of UNDP and it became a partner with UNHCR in December 2006. Legal Clinic comprised of five units, Criminal unit defense, Civil Litigation unit, access to justice and awareness unit, Women and Child unit and Human Rights Unit.
Human Rights Unit which is a partner with UNHCR is the largest Unit of Legal Clinic andprovides free legal aid to people in need of legal aid services, particularly to, refugees, asylum seekers, returnees, IDPs and extremely vulnerable members of the host communities in matters relating to criminal cases, civil cases, and customary law, and provides legal counseling and mediations where necessary. Legal Clinic, Human Rights unit also advocates and provides legal trainings, awareness raising to the host and refugee communities as well as Somaliland Law enforcements agencies and authorities. In addition to that, Legal Clinic, Human Rights Unit provides vulnerable refugee and asylums seekers shelter assistance through Conditional cash-based intervention.
UOH Legal Clinic, Human Rights Unit Project for Free Legal Aid Services and Awareness Campaigns for Refugees and Asylum Seekers (POCs) is aimed at improving access to national justice system for persons of concern (PoCs) to UNHCR. As per Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF) approach this project is also aimed at improving access to national justice for extremely vulnerable members of host communities who can’t afford to hire a lawyer.
The purpose of this position is to ensure the proper and immediate implementation of the free legal aid Project and facilitate PoCs’ access to justice.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Junior Paralegal under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator will;
- Interview clients
- Provide legal counseling and legal assistance
- Mediate between parties whenever it is necessary
- Assist lawyers for trail Preparations including drafting legal documents; gathering evidence; conducting legal research; and interviewing clients and witnesses;
- Follow up with prosecutors and judges to set trial dates, ensure case files are transfers and any other task required to speed up for processing of cases;
- Documenting all received cases and filing documents in court and Maintaining all other case files
- Monitoring and intervene in cases of refoulement, expulsion and other urgent protection related issues;
- Undertake police stations/detention centers and prisons monitoring in in Sahil, Togdheer, Sanaag and Sool regions of Somaliland to update the human rights situations of the refugees, asylum seekers returnees and IDPs.;
- Referring cases for lawyers to represent in court when necessary;
- Minimize the negative and discriminatory attitudes from local populations through advocacy
- Sensitize refugee groups and public authorities on refugee rights through awareness
- Contributing to the capacity building and awareness-raising activities
- Work with community committees by providing guidance on their rights and obligations
- Approach authorities on matters of documentation
- provide refugees and asylum seekers with information regarding their asylum application and their refugee status,
- Offer advice on their cases, making referrals and following up on cases. Advocate for the release of arrested refugees, asylum seekers and other PoCs at police stations, prisons and places of detention,
- Accompany refugees on visits to organizations and institutions to seek assistance on various social issues (for example, to police stations in order to report crimes).
- Prepare detailed daily, weekly and monthly reports and legal cases updates
- Any other tasks assigned by the manager
Reports to: Project Coordinator
Position: Junior Paralegal based in Berbera (Reception Centre) and frequently travel to Togdheer, Sool And Sanaag regions.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
- Minimum in LLB or BA
- Knowledge of Somaliland Legal System and international Refugee Legal Frameworks
- Experience in working with refugees, IDPs, Returnees and other vulnerable populations
- 2 years of practical working experience in paralegal, social worker.
- Desire and demonstrated passion to assist Somaliland’s Poor and extremely vulnerable communities.
- Computer literate with ability to use Microsoft word, excel, Power points etc.
- Native Somali speaker and proficiency in English
- Speaking Amharic and Arabic is an advantage
COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
- Delivers timely and appropriate results
- Plans, prioritizes and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
- Understands the link between his/her work and the organization’s objectives
- Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
- Knows when to involve others in a decision
- Simplifies processes and procedures wherever possible
- Delivers work that reflects a good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
- Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
- Maintains ethical and professional behaviour
- DURATION OF CONTRACT
- This position is aproject based and the assignment is a One year with possibilities of extension depends available of funds and personal performance.
Qualified and interested applicants are encouraged to submit curriculum vitae, testimonials and a letter of interest stating suitability for the position to Hargiesa University Human Resource Office or firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Junior Paralegal ” before 17 January, 2020.