Vacant Announcement (2 Position’s)
Infant and young child feeding
|Organization||Gargaar Relief and Development Organization (GREDO)|
|Position Title||IYCF COUNSELOR (2 Position’s)|
|Location/Duty Station||Hudur- Bakool|
|Commitment to Diversity||GREDO is an equal opportunities employer.|
GREDO is an indigenous local NGO. Non-profit non-partial, non- political and voluntary organization based in Baidoa. To reach the most affected grass-root communities in Bay and Bakool regions and lower Shebelle effectively and efficiently, the necessity of local partnership in relief program appeared. Responding to the partnership need, a group of Somali intellectuals and well-wishers initiated in December 1992 a local non-governmental organization called Gargaar Relief and Development Organization (GREDO) the organization has implemented during these period different projects including relief and emergency programs and later improved into rehabilitation and developmental programs.
The chronic nature of the nutrition emergency in Somalia has devastating impact on the economic potential and general development of the population The immediate causes of malnutrition include high morbidity with frequent disease outbreaks, poor dietary diversity leading to high prevalence of micronutrient deficiencies such as anaemia, inadequate feeding and care practices of young children and their mothers, household food insecurity in some areas, and poor access to basic services such as primary health care, clean water, and sanitation facilities. These devastating immediate causes can be addressed through an integrated and coordinated approach to programming.
The entirety of central and southern Somalia is characterized by extreme instability and conflict. This and the conditions described above have brought acute hardship for millions, among whom children are the most vulnerable.
To provide promotion and support for optimal infant and young child feeding to mothers and carers of children under 2years old.
- To conduct community surveys to identify target beneficiaries (children under 2 and pregnant and lactating women)
- To lead group education sessions for pregnant mothers and carers of children under 2
- To train staff and volunteers on best practices for infant and young child feeding
- To supervise volunteers to ensure consistent messaging
- To assess mothers and their children to identify specific feeding support needs
- To provide 1:1 breastfeeding counselling for mothers experiencing difficulties breastfeeding; including supporting relactation
- To provide training, demonstration, on going guidance and support to provide artificial feeding safely for exceptional cases until the infant is at least 6 months old
- To refer children for intensive nutritional/medical care as required
- To identify mothers to become peer educators in their home villages, and to support them to undertake sensitisation and referral to the Child Friendly Space
- Keep a register of mothers and children attending education sessions, receiving skilled assessment and support
- Monthly reporting of activities to the Infant and Young Child Feeding officer
- Local level awareness raising on best feeding practices for infants and young children amongst other humanitarian actors in the locality
- Nurse, midwife or auxiliary midwife qualification
- Knowledge of best infant and young child feeding practices and a willingness to learn
- Capacity to keep accurate records of activities and report in a timely manner
- Ability to make a work plan and direct work independently
- Willingness to live and work in difficult situations
· Has own children / experience of breastfeeding
Child Protection and safeguarding
The responsibilities of the post will require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and Gredo as an organization has a dignity of protecting and safeguarding children by giving awareness, protection reporting and taking actions.
All applicants should drop a letter of application and updated CV (including 3 referees) to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the position applied for in the subject.
The deadline for application is …13/12/2019……………………………
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
NB: Please provide 3 professional referees e.g. Institution of learning, Previous and current supervisors at workplace.
GREDO is an equal opportunities employer