Integrated Service for Displaced Population (ISDP) is a non-profit organization that was established in 2010 in Puntland state of Somalia. ISDP currently works most regions in Puntland state of Somalia; Bari, Karkaar, Mudug and Nugaal regions. Our Thematic Areas are; health, Nutrition, Protection, Resilience, Livelihoods and Youth development. We target to supports; Displacedcommunities InternalDisplacePeople,Refugees,Vulnerablehouseholds,drought affected communities, children and hard to reach people live in Somalia.
ISDP currently partnershipwithkeygovernmentinstitutions in Puntland,andUN agencieswith close working relations with local communities in Puntland, our keysuccessindeliveringresultsisdeterminedbytheactiveinvolvementandengagementof local communities in project implementations.
A Society with improved living conditions through dedications to end poverty and injustice
Committedtoimprovelivingconditionsinpartnershipwithcommunitiestobuildsustainable, healthy and productive communities in Somalia.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE ROLE
Job Title: Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) Officer
Place of Work: Bossaso, Bari region
Employment Type: Full time
Reports To: Health and Nutrition Coordinator
Length of Contract: 12 Months
Expected date to start: Subject to funding availability
Role and the Purpose of the post
The IYCF officer has the responsibility to ensure high quality IYCF activities, closely coordinated an integrated with health and nutrition program run by ISDP in Bossaso district
The IYCF Officer ensures activities fit within the framework of the Nutrition Program and ensures good relations with local stakeholders and partners in the operational area.
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Key area of accountability:
- The incumbent will be expected to ensure that all caretakers of the beneficiaries at the distribution sites (OTP and TSFP) and MBAs have received the IYCF counselling by the health workers.
- Accomplish project site activities and supporting of community-based groups – mother support groups, father support groups, local committees, etc.
- Participate in providing IYCF technical support to the staff of the MBAs, health facilities and nutrition distribution sites.
- Ensure that all staff understand and implement the IYCF program guidelines.
- Ensure appropriate and consistent education messaging to mothers (at HCs, Hospitals particularly stabilization centers, and community levels)
- Advise the best feeding options/ practices and follow ups as appropriate.
- Participate in the development and establishment of mother support groups and mother-baby areas.
- Participate in developing regular work plans for the IYCF nurses, Health and nutrition officer, mother support groups and Father support groups etc.
- Spot and address appropriately the violations of the code of marketing of breast-milk substitutes and violations of the MOH guidelines.
- The position holder will be expected ensures the availability of teaching aid and IEC materials for program implementation.
- Act as an effective member in promoting, supporting and protecting IYCF practices (give IYCF awareness sessions and IYCF individual counseling sessions as necessary).
- Ensure that IYCF tools are properly utilized and documented; prepare IYCF reports regularly and submit to the health and nutrition coordinator.
- Link between health, nutrition and IYCF teams (such as promoting excellent communication and referral between IYCF nurses in MBAs, IYCF educators in stabilization center).
- Assist in the development and review of educational material (IEC /BCC).
- Prepare training materials and conduct IYCF trainings when necessary.
- With support from the health and nutrition coordinator, make sure all IYCF records are regularly filled and submitted (awareness sessions, database of counselled cases, etc.)
- Provide mothers with practical advice on correct attachment and positioning when breastfeeding, timely introduction of complementary foods and respond to any concerns or local taboos associated with IYCF.
- Upholds the image and values of ISDP.
- Assure the availability of IYCF training and counselling materials prior to any training;
- Ensure IYCF indicator well captured in ONA/DHSI2 and adhere to the national protocol guideline by the IYCF team.
- Make sure that Mothers are counselled with the resource available at MBAs and the health facilities.
- Make sure that Mother who need special counselling are identified, linked and followed well for behavior change.
- Support the mothers suffering from insufficient milk production with advice on re-lactation.
- Perform any other extra duties assigned by the supervisor.
Behaviors (Values in Practice):
- holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ISDP values.
- Holds the team and MOH accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with his/her team, colleagues, Members and external partners.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
- Bachelors or equivalent degree in Human Nutrition, Midwifery, Public Health, or similar fields.
- Minimum 4 years field experience in humanitarian work, including significant experience in managing IMAM & IYCF programs.
- Substantial experience of community-based nutrition projects.
- Demonstrated ability for leadership and independent decision making.
- Strong interpersonal skills & excellent team player.
- Willingness and ability to work in hardship environment.
- Excellent written communications and experience of producing high quality donor reports
- Strong organization and project management skills and ability to deliver within tight deadlines.
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English language.
- Knowledge of the local language is mandatory.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants who met the minimum requirements should send the following through email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A CV (not more than 3 pages)
- A cover letter (not more than one page)
- Copies of your transcripts and academic degrees.
Applications close on Wednesday 11 March 2020 @ 11:00pm.
ISDP is an equal opportunity employer. However, due to the nature activities for this position we are looking for female personnel. Therefore, female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Note: All travel costs should be covered by the applicant if invited for written exam or interview.