Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination. We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development, and campaigning, in more than 90 countries. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click *here.***** https://www.oxfamnovib.nl/donors-partners/about-oxfam/our-story**
Oxfam Novib Somalia / Somaliland is looking for a
Humanitarian & Resilience Program Manager – Somalia
Deadline for applications: 3 March 2021
Duty station: Hargeisa, Somaliland with travel to other fields when necessary.
Type of contract: International
Work schedule: Full-time (40 hours per week)
Reports to: Country Director of Somalia / Somaliland
Staff reporting to this position: Technical coordinators, Partnership and Consortium Coordinator and Filed Program Mgr.
Type of Posting: Single Posting
Salary & Scale: € 3.162,= to € 4.865 / Oxfam Novib’s scale 709 ( Int Grading C1)
Contract duration: Fixed term contract for 12 months
Start date: as soon as possible
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty!
The humanitarian situation in Somalia has become increasingly fragile following consecutive failed or below normal rainy seasons. Over 3 million people faced Crisis and Emergency (IPC Phases 3 and 4) across Somalia through June 2017. There is a potential risk of famine and creation of a drought crisis even worse than 2011 in which 258,000 people died including 133,000 children under 5 years.
The drought effects being experienced in Somaliland and Puntland is driven by low rainfall and climatic shocks that have been recurrent over a number of years due to climate change coupled with increasing competition for resources, disrupted traditional patterns of migration; the erosion of coping strategies and exhaustion of livelihood assets, especially livestock. The drought has resulted into failed crop production for agro-pastoralist, increased livestock losses for both pastoralist and agro-pastoralist, pastoral dropouts, destitutions, chronic food insecurity, malnutrition, internal and external displacement / or migration. Underfunding of basic services and infrastructure and conflict are also underlying drivers. During the year 2018, there was improved rain in larger part of the country, and this improved the situation in different areas.
Oxfam’s response is currently focusing on WASH and Emergency Food Security and Vulnerable Livelihoods (EFSVL) with protection mainstreaming and resilience building. Geographically Oxfam is responding in Somaliland and Puntland.
OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
Key responsibilities and tasks
- Ensures that the response strategy (speed, scale, contextually appropriated, integrated) is in line with Oxfam’s overall strategic ambitions, external commitments, and Oxfam’s brand as a lead humanitarian actor.
- Lead on responding in a timely, appropriate, accountable, and cost-effective manner to humanitarian crises in programme areas, with a focus on programme quality and beneficiary accountability.
- Lead the design and development of appropriate contingency plans (for Oxfam and partners), and related preparedness and mitigation strategies, including capacity building initiatives, to ensure Oxfam’s humanitarian mandate can always be met.
- HRPM will initiate humanitarian responses in the area where Oxfam operates, based on contingency planning, and will keep this document updated. Something around these lines.
- Leads the implementation of the Oxfam Somalia response and resilience framework and the coordination of periodic operational/response plans and budgets of the response, monitoring progress towards achieving program objectives – measures outcome and impact against recognized indicators.
- Coordinates the regular refinement of programme approach and strategy to ensure that programming contributes to recovery and resilience and Oxfam’s approach is the most relevant and cost effective possible.
- Contributes and provides leadership to the overall One Oxfam response in Somalia by reinforcing strategies with communication and advocacy.
- Supports and maintains oversight of financial and human resourcing for the Somalia response.
- To develop strategy for second phase of response to recovery and resilience; and strengthen recovery and resilience programming.
- Ensure response strategy is fully funded by applying appropriate fundraising mechanisms and developing relevant and winning proposals with the team.
- Participates in regional level response coordination, ensuring follow up of agreed actions and necessary support from others (e.g. HR, Funding, MEAL, others).
- Maintains effective partner grants and reports monitoring system, ensures adherence to Oxfam policies and procedures on partner management.
- Represents Oxfam to government officials, Consortium, international organizations, NGO’s and other stakeholders.
- Ensures staff safety and security procedures are monitored, updated and implemented. This will include an analysis of the risks and threats to staff working on the response.
- Work with partners to strengthen partner capacity and response and resilience implementation with partners using their expertise.
- Support humanitarian influencing and advocacy for localization and addressing the core humanitarian issues and represent Oxfam in relevant forums to raise the profile of Oxfam and voices of the people we work.
- Ensure all donor and external reports are delivered on time with highest level of quality.
- Make sure that MEAL function is working properly with proper data management, learning, accountability, and evaluation of the program/projects is done on time.
- Recruits and manages staff in line with Oxfam policies, ensuring that they have the necessary induction, training, and support as required.
- Develop and manage resilience programs in line with the response and resilience framework.
- To work with team and partners to find innovative solutions and use of technological options available for scaling up, outreach and efficiency.
- Develop and implement resilience program with partners.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- First degree in a relevant field.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in similar roles – specifically in managing humanitarian, resilience and development programs funded by different donors.
- Significant leadership and management experience in the development and delivery of high-quality program, influencing and humanitarian strategy, with and through partners or directly, in one or more challenging locations (humanitarian WASH, protection and/or EFSL programs).
- Experience with people management.
- Experience in second phase of response to recovery and resilience programming.
- Experience of managing complex change processes and relationships involving a wide range of both internal and external multi-cultural stakeholders.
- A high degree of self-awareness and an understanding of how to drive and support excellent team performance and individual development in line with Oxfam’s values and policies.
- Proven track record of leading and motivating multi-disciplinary, partially geographically remote teams and operations across many locations.
- Good knowledge of developing and implementing monitoring systems to track the effectiveness of programs and an ability to build cooperative, professional relationships with donors, partners and peer organizations.
- Excellent personal communication skills, in written and verbal English.
- Good interpersonal, influencing, diplomacy and negotiating skills.
- Commitment to equal opportunity and gender policies; sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Prior experience of working in fragile and insecure context.
- Ability to travel to remote programmatic sites within the country.
Requirements – desirable
Experience in managing funded projects and proven ability to write proposals and reports to main humanitarian donors (ECHO, GAC, GFFO, DFID, OFDA, DRA etc.).
Language, English and local Somali language
Key Behavioural Competencies
Competencies and Description
We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organisation We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
We put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual. We are not concerned with hierarchical power, and we engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organization.
We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation.
We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear, and consider different preferences.
We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity
We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organisational decisions and actions.
Strategic Thinking and Judgment
We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.
We have the ability to identify and lead visionary initiatives that are beneficial for our organization and we set high-level direction through a visioning process that engages the organization and diverse external stakeholders.
We are able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around our own strengths and weaknesses and our impact on others. Our self-awareness enables us to moderate and self-regulate our behaviors to control and channel our impulses for good purposes.
We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support. We give more freedom and demonstrate belief and trust, underpinned with appropriate support.
WHAT WE OFFER
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 709 with a salary range between € 3.162,= to € 4.865 gross per month.
How to Apply
If you are interested please use the apply button. Your application must be received by 3 March 2021 at the latest. Only applications received using the link provided can be taken into consideration.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. This vacancy is posted both internally and externally at the same time, however with equal suitability, the internal candidate is preferred. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks, or integrity screenings/references relating to misconduct and disciplinary actions in prior employment.
Oxfam aims to attract great talent that not only fits the job but also Oxfam’s high standard of values and principles, who shares and demonstrates Oxfam’s commitment to prevent and eradicate any type of misconduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, any other type of misuse of power or lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us. We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation. People of all gender identities, sexes, sexual orientations, races, colours, religions, cultures, abilities, etc. are eligible for this position. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Acquisition on the occasion of this vacancy is not appreciated.