Job Title: Health and Nutrition Officer – Burdhubo
Location: Burdhubo, Gedo Region of Somalia
Division: Somalia Country Programme
Date: May 2020
|Trócaire is one of Ireland’s leadingInternational NGOs, having over 47 years’ of experience in international development and humanitarian work. Trócaire has been working in Gedo since 1993 and currently implements an integrated Health, Nutrition and Protectionprogramme as well as education and emergency programmes designed to address the most urgent needs of the Gedo population.Trocaire has recently received funding to revive health services in Burdhubo, Gedo after a 9-yearphysical absence. The Health and Nutrition Officer (HNO), to be based in Burdhubo, will lead in the implementation of health and nutrition services, under the direction of the Programme Coordinator. S/he will ensure that the health and nutrition services at hospital and Outreach level are of a high standard as per Trocaire values and history in Somalia. S/he will work alongside the District Health Board in Burdhubo and other Trocaire staff, delivering essential services and ensuring that lifesaving services are enhanced and maintain Trocaire’s high standards.|
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
|Reporting toArea Manager or his/her designee,this is a fixed term forone year andbased in Burdhubo, Gedo region of Somalia.|
|Safeguarding Children Policy:||Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding Programme Participants from Exploitation and Abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.|
|Key Duties & Responsibilities|
|Programme activities:· Plan and organise health and nutrition activities within the Trocaire’s Burdhubo Health project (i.e. Primary health centre and outreach)|
· Ensure that all nursing administrative procedures and documents (individual patient cards and registration book, discharge forms, transfer forms, etc.) and existing data management tools are used correctly.
· Ensure universal precautions and infection prevention guidelines are followed in service provisionand monitor adherence to hygiene procedures for materials (sterilisation, waste disposal), rooms and equipment in general.
Reporting and Coordination
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
|(E) Qualification||· Professional qualification in Nursing (BSN)· At least one-year experience working in Health and nutrition interventions|
· Registered with the relevant body
· Medical education background
|(E) Experience||· Minimum twoyears’ experience in working in health programmes in hardship environments preferably with an international NGO.|
· Nursing and Nutrition experience in a hospital setting.
|(E) Skills||· Excellent mentoring and accompaniment skills· Leadership and good interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, to mentor and to negotiate for best results|
· Ability to work under pressure.
· Strong writing and communication skills in English and Somali.
· Good computer skills (Microsoft Office).
|(E) Qualities||· Passion for nursing,nutrition.· Ability to work to a high standard in a complex environment and to motivate MoH/DHB members and staff to achieve|
· S/he will be mature, lead by example and work to the highest standards of professionalism, ethics, and integrity.
· Ability to work with minimum supervision
· Flexible and willing to work additional hours to ensure that the required results are delivered.
· High level of reliability, objectivity, and honesty
· Willingness to work in a rural Somalia environment at unsocial hours and in remote conditions.
|(E) Other||· Resident of Garbaharey or Burdhubo would be an added advantage.|
All new hires are required to complete a Self-Declaration Form and sign up to our Code of Behaviour contained in our Safeguarding Children Policy. For additional information please consult the Human Resources Department in our Head Office.
Terms and conditions:
The role is offered on a fixed-term contract basis for one year (renewable), and will be paid on the Programme Officer salary scale.
The closing date for receipt of applications is May 10th 2020.
For full details of this position, please see job description attached.
To apply, please send a copy of your CV and covering letter (quoting the reference number above) to: https://www.trocaire.org/about/work-with-trocaire