|Terms of Reference|
|Somaliland Non-State Actors Forum|
|Location:||Hargeisa with frequent travel to all regions of Somaliland|
|Reporting to||Executive Director and Program Manager|
|Duration:||25th December 2019|
|Deadline:||Somaliland Non-State Actors Forum Executive Director|
Somaliland Non-State Actors forum SONSAF is a leading civil society platform that aims to engage all Somaliland Non-Stat actors by improving their capacity and position. Since its establishment in 2008, SONSAF’s mission and primary objective is to enhance non-state actor’s voice through better coordination and networking that contributes in helping Non-state actors to possess a vibrant space in policy dialogue arena especially, peace-building, security, democratization, development sustainability and have concrete influence in formulating policies that address the needs of all citizens. Overall the civil society and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) have the power to influence individual behaviour and the institutions that are involved in all development sectors.
Civil society and nongovernmental organizations have the ability to:
- lead grass-roots mobilization and advocate on development agenda such as contributing in fulfilling the NDP and SDGs targets
- support the wide dissemination of information and advocate on the democratization, education uptake, promotion of health and prevention of diseases etc.
- form networks and action groups to promote development agendas and engage all sectors of the community including minorities groups and hard to reach areas
- monitor and work with other stakeholders such as private sector entities;
- contribute to putting knowledge and evidence into practice
SONSAF is seeking a professional finance officer who is well versed in working with civil society organizations (NGOs), and possess knowledge in key areas of financial management, bank reconciliations, pay roll and budgeting. SONSAF is particularly looking for a highly motivated and experienced individual who is capable of working independently and can identify and implement ways of improving working practices and
Main duties and responsibilities:
- The finance officer is responsible for overseeing effective financial management of SONSAF, which are consistent with SONSAF policies and procedures.
- Both stewardship of resources as well as accountability of the use of resources against funding source is fundamental responsibilities of the position holder
- To perform a monthly reconciliation of all bank accounts and all funding balances
- To review and reconcile monthly accounts for submission to and approval by SONSAF Executive Director. This must be done in a timely fashion that allows for all financial reporting to be submitted to the appropriate funding agency as required by such agency
- To develop and undertake an exchange procedure for foreign currency into Somaliland Shillings and this procedure must include authorization by the Director for all informal exchanges of currency
- Under the guidance of the financial policy, the finance officer must ensure that all principles and procedures are applied accordingly
- Assist the administration and program manager to timely prepare reports and payments
- Monitor payment activities by ensuring the adherence of the financial policy and procurement procedure
- The position holder is responsible for financial stability of the platform, including national planning, accountability, transparency and accurately reporting of all financial procedures
- Responsible for timely reporting in collaboration with administration and program manager
- Responsible for preparation of payments and posting to QuickBooks Software
- Responsible for recording payments with excellent literacy and numeracy skills
- Responsible for preparation of financial reports including Income and Expenditure statements, Budget vs Actual spending report
- Submitting financial monthly /quarter reports both hard and soft copy in line with the requirements of the donors.
- Responsible for documenting financial records, reports and general filling procedures of SONSAF
- Assist the program team with planning of activities in order to demonstrate coherent manner of budget estimation and accurate expenditure
- Assist in budget development for new proposal writing and fundraising activities
- The finance officer should not authorize any payments without prior approval of the Executive Director
- Provide regular updates and report to the Executive Director about the financial status of the organization
- Provide staff with Ad hoc financial reports to help monitor budgets
The finance officer directly reports and is supervised by program manager.
Qualifications and specialized knowledge
Education: Advanced university degree in accounting, financial management, business administration, Business related degree, and/or related field is required. Degree specifically in accounting will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in budgeting, accounts and worked in a similar role previously
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and under strict deadline
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and very good mathematical skills;
- Solid experience with common Microsoft Office packages, QuickBooks and other financial packages
- Integrity, tact, discretion and demonstrated sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Experience in working with NGOs, CSO is an added advantage
- Strong skills in budgetary and financial analysis
- Ability to manage workload and lead all financial related procedures
- Ability to follow instructions and a quick learner
- Capacity to work under pressure and with a high degree of independence.
Conditions of Work
The finance officer will be based at SONSAF in Hargeisa with potential travel to the sub-regional level.
Submission: detailed CV with a cover letter will be submitted not later than 22nd of December at 4pm, both hard copy and soft copy.
Office location: SONSAF is situated behind the WHO Hargeisa