Location: Hargeisa, WO, SO
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan international has opened an office in Somaliland and is in the process of starting programmes that focuses on child protection, education and youth economic empowerment programming, working with/through partners and providing technical support to INGOs, Somaliland NGOs and the Government of Somaliland in Plan’s areas of expertise.
The purpose of this job is to formulate and implement the strategic direction and plans for the Finance Department ensuring the provision of financial management support services to the Country office and to Program Areas. This position is responsible for maintaining and implementing financial policies, procedures, standards and guidelines for in country operations in line with Plan’s Operations Manual. Providing strong internal controls to ensure the effective use and management of Plan’s financial resources and spending within budgets.
DIMENSIONS OF THE ROLE
The post holder is responsible for monitoring financial management and performance of all programs/projects/sub-units and partners in the country, ensuring compliance with global standards, systems and processes, law of land as well as donors’ rules on financial management. Provide strategic financial support to the Head of Mission in strategic planning, reporting, analysis and risk management.
KEY END RESULTS OF POSITION:
- Responsible to maintain and implement financial policies, procedures, standards and guidelines for in-country operations in line with global and local operations manual
- Reviewing financial and accounting transactions to ensure that they are compliant with Generally accepted accounting practices
- Responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the department and the implementation and maintenance of the financial procedures necessary for effective accountability and adequate internal control.
- Monitor the maintenance of all banking transactions and check required balances, bank statement reconciliations, correspondences and records and ensure the prevention of expenditure in excess of approved budgets.
- Monitor the process of the cost apportionment and the efficiency of the relevant tools and procedures to ensure consistency in the cost charges based on the fair share base.
- Manage the operations of the SAP system to meet Plan’s spending and financial reporting requirements
- Prepares monthly financial statements with accompanying schedules, yearend reports and other financial reports to ensure accurate reporting
- Review and approves all donor financial reports
- Install internal controls to ensure compliance to audit requirements, provide information to internal and external auditors as required, prepare and implementation plan of action on audit recommendations of accounting issues.
- Implement administrative policy compliance for all accounting documents and books of accounts to meet audit requirement and standards and act as overall custodian of such documents book and records.
- Provide sufficient monitoring of financial activities throughout the fiscal year through the timely and effective control and implementation of the Country Office and Program Areas expenditures in accordance with the prepared and approved budget guidelines.
- Allocate approved annual budget to Country Office and Program Unit and provide Head of Mission the required financial management information and reports on budget control, variances reports, expenditures and funds available.
- Lead the assigned financial & accounting staff towards successful management and accomplishment of finance and accounting related functions.
- Periodically review the existing systems and recommend necessary improvements and ensure the installation of internal control as part of audit readiness.
- Recommend/participate in the hiring of assigned staff positions as well as the appropriate disciplinary action to staff in cases of on-compliance to Code of Discipline and Plan policies and procedures.
- Conduct performance appraisal for all assigned staff including the setting of individual performance standards and effectively recommend personnel actions.
- Create effective channels for communication, staff development and group efforts towards the realization of departmental goals and objectives.
- Supervise and performance manages the logistics and Admin team, including, coaching, mentoring and capacity building for the purpose of building their skills and competences to perform their jobs more effectively and efficiently.
Dealing with Problems:
- The job holder requires strong managerial skills, strong analytical skills, strong negotiation skills and communication skills. She/he must be discreet as she/he will review confidential and sensitive documents.
- The post holder should also demonstrate accountability and accuracy in resource and records management.
Education, Skill and Experience:
- Excellent communication problem solving and record keeping skills
- Strong analytical and financial interpretation skills
- Strong leadership supervisory skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Committed, honest and transparent
- High degree of confidentiality and integrity
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor/Master’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent area and ACCA/CIMA
- Five years working experience in a similar role working in a computerized accounting office in an NGO setup.
- Eloquent appreciation of budgeting and budgetary control.
- Strong experience in working with donor funded projects e.g USAID, CIDA, etc
- Good understanding of taxation and other statutory laws which will hinge on finance
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, database, internet
- Knowledge of using SAP
PLAN INTERNATIONAL’S VALUES IN PRACTICE
We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
Office based with frequent travel to the field within and outside Somaliland (at least 20% of time).
LEVEL OF CONTACT WITH CHILDREN
Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children
Closing Date: 21 January 2020
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International’s Safeguarding Children and Young People policy.
As an international child centred community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realisation of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for. Our organisation is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We will provide equality of opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination on any grounds. We foster an organisational culture that embraces and exemplifies our commitment to gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion while supporting staff to adopt good practice, positive attitudes and principles of gender equality and inclusion.