UNITED NATIONS SUPPORT OFFICE IN SOMALIA (UNSOS) UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL BENEFITS FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 24 DECEMBER 2019 DATE
- FUNCTIONAL TITLE : FIELD SECURITY ASSISTANT
- LEVEL : GL-4
- SECTION : SAFETY AND SECURITY SECTION
- LOCATION : GAROWE
- DURATION OF CONTRACT : ONE (1) YEAR FIXED TERM
- VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER : UNSOM/SEC/044/ 2019/SM
Special Notice This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidates are responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: This position is located in the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) in Garowe. Under the overall management of Principal Security Advisor/ Chief Security Officer, the Field Security Assistant will report to Regional Security officer who is based in Garowe.
Duties and Responsibilities Within delegated authority, the Field Security Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides general administrative support services in order to assist the Security Officers fulfil their duties vis-à-vis staff members and their dependents;
- Assists with data consolidation and dissemination of relevant security information required for the analysis of the security situation by the Chief Security Officer (CSO), Deputy Chief Security Officer (DCSO) and Security Officers;
- Assists the Security Officers in the Security Operations Branch with the preparation of any security related documents including Security Plans, MORSS, MOSS, regular reports and any other reports related to the security section activities as well as providing the Operations Branch units with administrative assistance;
- Drafts correspondence and maintains records for the Security Training Courses delivered to security and field mission’s personnel;
- Provides support during the implementation of the Security Plan under the directions of the Chief Security Officer;
- Assists in reviewing the logistics requirements and other related actions required for the preparation of training courses, drills and other security exercises;
- Monitors and facilitates the implementation of security policies and procedures in close coordination with the security operation unit’s supervisors and others;
- Provides support in organizing and conducting security awareness and preparedness activities, and provides security orientation to newly assigned staff members, as well as conducting security briefings, as required;
- Assists with the preparation of the Induction Training courses, related presentations and documents;
- When and if required, prepares security presentations for the CSO and the Security Officers in other units;
- Perform any other duties.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Team Work: -Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning and Organizing :-Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
Qualifications: Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required. Specialized Security training/courses are desirable.
Experience: A minimum of two (02) years of relevant experience in Security or related areas such as Police and Military experience.
Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English and Somali is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Method of Evaluation: Qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
How to Apply: Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (PHP) to the address mentioned below quoting vacancy announcement number and functional title on the subject line on or before the deadline. The PHP is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 24 December 2019 not be accepted. Curriculum Vitae (CV) will not be accepted. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Kindly attach copy of php, all relevant academic certificates, Passport and or National Identification Card. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty. Please note CID and NISA Certificates are required at a later stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING)