This position is located in Garowe, Somalia.
The Field Emergency Specialist will be under the overall supervision the FAO Representative in Somalia and the direct supervision of Emergency & Rehabilitation Officer.
The Field Emergency Specialist will provide support to emergency programmes and projects in his/her designated field area of responsibility.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Be responsible for the quality and effectiveness of emergency program interventions within his/her designated field area of responsibility;
- Identify and or assess emergency needs and ensure integrated emergency response initiatives are outlined for his/her designated field area of responsibility;
- Establish and maintain constructive working relationships and coordinate with other UN agencies, NGO’s, regional, state and local government, and other principle stakeholders in his/her designated field area of responsibility;
- Provide support supervision to emergency team staff in his/her designated field area of responsibility;
- Follow up the emergency program implementation with implementation partners, and provide necessary support to ensure emergency project objectives are achieved in his/her designated field area of responsibility;
- Establish an up to date information and data of all emergency program intervention needs, plans, updates of his/ her designated field area of responsibility;
- Represent emergency program in area based coordination forums, cluster meetings, inter agency meetings etc., and provide periodic updates on FAO emergency program activities to stakeholders and to emergency program in his/her designated field area of responsibility;
- Ensure the relevant government line Ministries are consulted and updated periodically on FAO Somalia emergency program activities and interventions;
- Ensure FAO Somalia emergency units’ (CFW, Agriculture emergency, Livestock emergency and Fisheries Emergency) activities are implemented in a coordinated and cohesive manner in his/ her designated field area of responsibility;
- Coordinate with other FAO Somalia programs to create synergy with emergency program to create resilience, and contribute to the overall visibility of FAO Somalia in his/her designated field area of responsibility;
- Identify capacity needs of IPs and emergency beneficiaries and liaise with emergency team leaders to plan and participate in capacity building/ training;
- Support in the development and design of various emergency preparedness and response strategies, policies and operational guidelines by developing new approaches for in his/her designated field area of responsibility;
- Perform other related duties and activities upon instruction from by immediate supervisors.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in agriculture, livestock, development studies or related subject.
- At least Five (5) years of relevant experience in humanitarian and emergency field.
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Proven ability to liaise with coordinate multiple partners including NGOs;
- Diplomacy, tact and ability to network successfully;
- Good understanding of international humanitarian architecture and respective roles of participating members.
- Ability to analyse and synthesize data from multiple sources;
- Skills and experience in field coordination.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
Candidates should upload language certificate/s when submitting their application.
For more information, visit the FAO employment website
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, CLICK HERE and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT