CARE International is an international NGO working in Somaliland. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, as well as mitigating immediate suffering caused by drought, conflict, and displacement. We invite applications from experienced and talented individuals for the position of Emergency Public Health Officer based in Erigavo with travels to the other field sites in Somaliland.
CARE International in Somaliland is seeking an energetic, self-motivated professional to join the Humanitarian and Emergency Response team in Somaliland for a fixed term of three months. Reporting to the Humanitarian Program Manager Somaliland, responsible for conducting rapid health assessments, planning, coordinating, implementing and monitoring emergency health interventions the successful candidate will be required to have demonstrated experience in and knowledge of emergency response and humanitarian assistance agenda in Somaliland. The incumbent is expected to work in close collaboration with the emergency program team and with minimal supervision.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Work with the WASH team and provide the required technical support related to public health activities.
· Oversee design, development, and implementation of public health promotion components of WASH projects.
· Establish and maintain contacts with flood emergency affected communities, committees, Implementing partners, line Govt. departments
· Working closely with the health, nutrition, Food security, and education teams to integrate hygiene promotion programming across the sectors
· Promote basic health education by training and supporting local community health workers to assist in surveillance and educational aspects of emergency health interventions.
· Train community hygiene volunteers and water management committee on the operation and maintenance of water and sanitation facilities.
· Perform and document regular monitoring of all project sites; planned, on-going and completed.
· Represent CARE in WASH cluster meeting while sharing the organization program activities.
· Provide public health-related technical advice to other program teams
· Any other ad-hoc duties assigned by line manager.
· A health professional with a first degree in public health or equivalent related field.
· Significant professional experience, at least 2 years, of working as a Public health officer for international NGOs.
· Excellent understanding of the WASH sector within the humanitarian aid context, particularly issues related to public health.
· Clear understanding of the integration of Emergency WASH with other thematic areas, including nutrition, child protection, education, WASH and food security.
· Proven representation skills in different forums including cluster meetings and government meeting
· Strong advocacy skills as well as communication skills both written and oral
· Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, taking into account cultural and language difficulties.
· Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an stressful and security-sensitive environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
· Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV with at least three professional referees in one PDF document to SOM.Recruitment@care.org by 24 December, 2019. Please quote the position title “Emergency Public Health Officer – Ceerigaabo”** on the subject line of the email when applying. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity, and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
CARE is a Zero Tolerant organization for child abuse and sexual exploitation and abuses.