Education Project Officer – Beledweyne/Jowhar– Somali Nationals Only
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reportsto:GPE Project Coordinator
Staffdirectlyreportingto thispost: None
Budget Responsibilities: N/A
Country Dimensions: Save the Children has been working in Somalia for more than 60 years. The Country Office has over 500 staff across 14 field offices (Boroma, Burao and Hargeisa in Somaliland; Bosasso, Garowe, Galkayo and Gardo in Puntland; Beletweyne, Adaado, Abudwak, Baidoa, Kismayo, Dhobley and Mogadishu in Central South Somalia). Our Country Office coordination and administration base is in Nairobi, Kenya. In 2017, as a result of significant scale up for the countrywide drought response, our annual spend FY2017 was US$117 million and we reached more than 2 million people through our humanitarian and longer term development work in Health, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Education, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Child Protection and Child Rights Governance. The Country Office manages 61 active awards totalling US$165 million from a range of governmental/institutional donors, including DFID, ECHO, EU, FFP, OFDA, and DANIDA being some of our largest.
|Job Title: GPE funded COVID-19 Response Accelerated Funding Education Project Officer|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Education||LOCATION: 50% Jowhar 50% Beletwayn|
|GRADE: 5||CONTRACT Length: one year|
|Child Safeguarding:Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.|
|ROLE PURPOSE: The Project officer- under the guidance of GPE project coordinator is responsible for the planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting of the GPE funded COVID-19 Response Accelerated Funding program on a day to day basis in line with the agreed plan of action and budget, donor, SC and government policies, requirements and procedures. The project officer will provide technical support to partners implementing the GPE funded COVID-19 Response Accelerated Funding interventions in project target locations focusing on effective planning, reporting and implementation. He/she will ensure efficient utilization of project resources for the intended purpose through effective planning and monitoring. He or she will ensure the use of appropriate, cost effective and innovative approaches especially in improving quality, equity, inclusiveness and performance of students. He or she will ensure synergy through collaboration and networking with other stakeholders implementing education programs. The project officer will ensure partnership with relevant partners including REOs and DEOs, CBOs, CECs, teachers and children. The project officer shall ensure linkage among education and other thematic areas at field level. He or she will play key role in representing SCI in relevant networks and forums and engage in advocacy and dialogue with relevant education stakeholders at state level.|
|SCOPE OF ROLE:Reports to: [ GPE project coordinator]|
Staff directly reporting to this post: Nil
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:Program Implementation|
· Prepare detailed action plans for the implementation of activities under the GPE funded COVID-19 Response Accelerated Funding program at the relevant state level.
· Ensure that the GPE funded COVID-19 Response Accelerated Funding program is implemented in accordance with the work plans and the involvement of partners and concerned stakeholders at all levels.
· Involves in capacity building activities at regional and local level for education authorities, regional/district supervisors, CEC members, head teachers and teachers based on the capacity building plans and strategies
· Work closely and in harmony with colleagues in developing clear plans, workable monitoring system, baseline data and reporting systems for the GPE funded COVID-19 Response Accelerated Funding program.
· Play proactive role in joint project planning, review, monitoring and evaluation activities.
· Under the guidance of the GPE Project Coordinator, he or she ensures that the GPE funded COVID-19 Response Accelerated Funding program has robust monitoring plans, baselines, reviews and evaluations in line with project designs and donor guidelines
· Manage project budgets in education efficiently and in line with donor guidelines and project plans as appropriate and as delegated
· Prepare annual and quarterly budget plans, forecasts and implement after approval.
· Monitor and follow up budget, expenditure and financial reports.
Representation and Advocacy
· Work closely with other project staffs to develop and implement advocacy plans in education in line with the Country Strategic Plan and global strategy of Save the Children
· Play proactive role in national and global campaigns to advocate for increased children’s education in collaboration and networking with other actors in Somalia.
· Ensure linkage, synergy and harmonization of approaches and strategies with other sectors.
Team work and Self Development
· With the guidance of the GPE Project Manager, the project officer understands and is able to adapt his/her roles and responsibilities in both emergency and development contexts
· Under the guidance of the GPE Project Manager, explores opportunities for self-professional development
· Ensure and contribute for effective and supportive team work and culture among team members
· Familiarize with education policies and strategies, SC global strategies, EiE minimum standards, Etc.
· Play proactive role in sharing good practices, experiences with team members and SC staff.
|COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURSDELIVERING RESULTS (SKILLED).|
• Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
• Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
• Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
• Understands the link between their work and the organisation’s objectives
PROBLEM SOLVING AND DECISION MAKING(SKILLED)
• Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
• Stays with a problem or challenge until a solution is reached or no longer reasonably attainable
• Knows when to involve others in a decision
• Demonstrates awareness of the wider external influence that impact on decision making
• Simplifies processes and procedures wherever possible
INNOVATING AND ADAPTING(SKILLED):
• Suggests creative improvement and better ways of working
• Seeks out and applies successful ideas from others to overcome challenges
• Shifts tasks, roles and priorities to perform effectively under changing or unclear conditions
• Applies lessons learned to enhance future ways of working
WORKING EFFECTIVELY WITH OTHERS(Accomplished):
• Enables people from a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives to contribute to positive outcomes
• Breaks down silo working and challenges behaviours that are not collaborative
• Knows when to follow and when to lend leadership to strengthen other leaders
• Recognises when trust is broken and seeks to resolve conflict and re-establish trust
APPLYING TECHNICAL & PROFESSIONAL EXPERTISE(SKILLED)
• Delivers work that reflects a good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
• Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
• Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conduct
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE|
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Somali.
|CHILD SAFEGUARING POLICY:Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCI’s Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.|
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staffs are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to
|CODE OF CONDUCTBecause Save the Children’s work is based on deeply held values and principles, it is essential that our commitment to children’s rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to|
|Date of issue: 29th April 2020 Author :|
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at https://stcuk.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=200002IR&tz=GMT%2B03%3A00&tzname=Africa%2FMogadishu
Application will be closed on 17th May 2020
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents