Education Officer(1 Position)
|Position Title:||Education Officer|
|Reporting to:||Acting Project Manager|
|Area of Operation:||South West State (SWS)|
|Employment period||Starting in Nov 2019, until 31st March 2020|
FCA works to enable people to break the circle of poverty and violence. We are a rights-based actor, a Finnish organisation with 70 years of experience, with operations in 15 countries. FCA is Finland’s largest NGO in development cooperation and second largest provider of disaster relief. Our action is guided by international human rights standards and principles. We realise our mission and vision through development cooperation, humanitarian assistance and advocacy work. We contribute to positive change by supporting people in the most vulnerable situations within fragile and disaster-affected areas. We consider three thematic areas as central to sustainable change: the right to peace (R2P), livelihood (R2L) and quality education (R2QE).
In Somalia and Somaliland FCA has been working under a right to peace thematic areas since 2008 including governance and reconciliation projects and later has expanded in quality education (R2QE) thematic area.
- Play a pivotal role in coordinating and implementing education and related activities and make sure quality and appropriate documentation is produced, collected and shared timely.
- With guidance from PM/education advisor, develop project planning and implementation tools:
- Detailed implementation plans DIPs.
- Develop and carry work-plans for education intervention including logistic planning for project supplies/materials, monitoring /training schedules
- Prepare up cash request and requisitions to facilitate project implementation, keeping accurate records for accountability purposes;
- Coordinate community engagement for planning and implementation of accountable project activities:
- Promote awareness of project deliverables for accountability purposes;
- Guide site selection and beneficiary selection processes, promoting gender sensitivity conflict sensitivity and vulnerability sensitivity allocation of resources and child safeguarding as well;
- Coordinate and monitor Education activities and distribution of project supplies, promoting transparency and accountability;
- Develop and monitor weekly action plans for education program activities in coordination with the PM/TS.
- Prepare project monthly progress reports.
- Coordinate baseline and Edline assessment.
- Prepare success stories with high quality pictures.
- Ensure adherence to INEE Minimum Standards for Education and SPHERE standards.
Special tasks and fixed term projects:
- Education Committee (CECs) in particular and follow up the implementation of the plans.
- Contextualize and facilitate in trainings to community and partner needs and verbal translations if needed ;
- Monitor, measure and report uptake of new skills and abilities with communities and partners;
- Identify training and development needs of partners/ community members and make recommendations to TS/PM.
- Contribute to complete, accurate and timely reporting; to project monitoring reports; progressive up-dates for FCA program manager and fill in the 4Ws and Quarterly Review Meeting updates;
- Conduct regular field visits to project site and update PM/TS with the progress of project activities in the field.
- With guidance from PM/Education advisor, carry out assessments and baselines in the project target locations. ;
- Coordinate field requirement (logistic, supplies, facilitators, etc.); spearhead community engagement; contextualize training tools; participate in development of TORs for consultants and service providers
- Supervise FCA engaged contractors/consultants and assist in the assessments of construction works of education assets in collaboration with the Infrastructure Engineer and ensure upon successful completion the issuance of verification report.
- Organize and carry out project review meetings with communities and education stakeholders, and document operational/technical and management constraints, challenges, gaps and needs as well as best practice and lessons learnt and ensure that
- Participate in external engagement with the government, community, and coordination mechanisms: participate in cluster coordination mechanisms; update cluster-reporting tools on a regular basis (e.g. 4Ws); coordinate organization’s participation in education cluster/government organized assessments; and take leadership roles when possible.
- Collaborate with other FCA sectors, government entities, UN & NGO- fostering linkages in support of sustainability and coordination of project activities (e.g. education cluster meetings).
With the assistance of Communications department, develop marketing and promotional materials to increase awareness of field level programs for fund-raising and profile enhancing purposes;
- Participate in relevant forums in the field (education sector and cluster meetings, etc.) and report to the Education manager
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders (including implementing and funding agencies) in the field to allow coordination and synergies as well as to avoid duplication
- Manage and modify country based database to manage cross-cutting sector data in close collaboration with the thematic advisors
- Ensure timely and correct data and analysis throughout programs for learning purposes
- Integrate mobile technology and other innovative solutions where feasible
Documentation of Good Practices:
- To contribute to the documentation of good practices– case studies, successful programming approaches and lessons learnt
- Contribute to Education debates at district/FMS/country and regional level, when needed, sharing best practices with Baidoa team.
- Work in coordination with FCA’s other core competencies to build synergy and develop cost effective implementation approaches
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the Project Manager
Competence, experience, skills, knowledge needed
- Minimum of 3 years working experience in humanitarian and development aid with teacher training experience.
- University degree in education, social Science or any other related field.
- Familiarity with interagency education in emergency INEE minimum standards.
- Experience in DRR would be an asset.
- Experience in the child safe guarding guidelines and policies.
- Proven strong knowledge of implementing education in emergency projects.
- Ability to work independently
- High analytical and solution oriented thinking
- Ability to work in a high risk security area
- Relevant experience in fragile context and community mobilization
- Knowledge of EiE, is a requirement
- Good knowledge of Bay region and Mai dialect is an asset
- Proficiency in English (oral and written).
- Strong and proven knowledge in Excel, word and power point is required.
- University degree in education, social Science or any other related field
- Enhanced access to and improved quality education of drought-affected primary school-age children in Somalia
- The position is open to Somali Nationals ONLY
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Email or Paper applications will not be considered.
Please apply by using the link no later than on 27thOctober 2019. Applicants will be short-listed and contacted for an interview on a progressive basis.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.