|Title: Education Construction Engineer (1 Position) – GPE MCA & FA program|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Program operations||LOCATION: Mogadishu with frequent travel to project sites|
|GRADE: Grade 3||POST TYPE: NationalContract period 12months|
|Child Safeguarding:Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.|
|ROLE PURPOSE:The Construction Engineer will organize all activities related to the implementation of construction works in the GPE funded Accelerated Funding program including WASH infrastructure and schools construction, from design to implementation, including logistics and monitoring. Responsible for the identification, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all construction activities in the assigned locations under the GPE funded Accelerated Funding program. To supervise all site technical staff in order to effectively implement planned projects. To manage all administration and security of SC engineering activities in the assigned location. S/he will have to coordinate closely with the Community Mobilization Team and ensure that all projects implemented are demand-driven and communities comply with SC requirements in terms of contribution. S/he will report to the GPE project manager.|
|SCOPE OF ROLE:Reports to: GPE project manager|
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:Project Planning|
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
· Supervise and manage sub-contracts (construction) including BOQ, costs, quality of construction and timeliness for the GPE funded Accelerated Funding program.
· Prepare tender documents and technical specifications for the GPE funded Accelerated Funding program.
· Confirm completion of construction works in writing and provide technical support to the programme management team.
· Develop and maintain good relationships and lines of communication with relevant local authorities and communities, explaining SC’s role as an NGO and liaising with them during all phases of the project.
· Through agreed upon survey methodologies and established prioritization criteria identify suitable locations for the implementation of the construction activities for the GPE funded Accelerated Funding program.
· Guarantee community involvement at all phases of the project (identification, design, implementation, and monitoring) to ensure the development of community ownership for the projects.
· Get initial approval for all plans and final approval from the infrastructure engineer and the GPE project manager before commencement of project implementation.
· Implement the GPE funded Accelerated Funding program as planned according to developed technical standards, schedules and timelines.
· In accordance with project goals and in co-ordination with program staff, establish Community Working Groups.
· Report any variations or problems with implementation of construction activities under the GPE funded Accelerated Funding program. Where necessary, regularly update project implementation plans with associated time lines.
· Ensure full adherence to the SC security plans and protocols conscientiously respecting the declared ‘go and no-go’ zones ensuring that staff respects them.
· Supervise the procurement of any materials needed through a competitive and transparent bidding process following the SC polices design for this purpose and together with the warehouse manager ensures that they are safely stored until they are use.
· Coordinate with local authorities to obtain all licenses needed.
· Provide regular written and verbal reports to the GPE project manager on infrastructure development activity.
· Organizes site-visits to the projects sites and hostess missions/consultants.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Externally, Establishing and maintaining collaborative relations with representatives from, local municipalities, partners, workers, beneficiaries, and other stakeholders.
· Internally, establishing and maintaining collaborative relations with the Infrastructure engineer, Education PM, Education TS, the Awards, Finance, Program Quality, departments Other objectives and duties:
· As requested by the Infrastructure engineer and Education PM, for the effective implementation of the project.
SAVE THE CHILDREN COMPETENCY FRAMEWORK
• Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
• Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
• Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
• Understands the link between their work and the organization’s objectives
DEVELOPING SELF AND OTHERS(SKILLED)
• Shows awareness of their strength and limitation and actively takes responsibility for their development
• Seeks out feedback to understand their area for improvement
• Actively shares knowledge and experience with others
PROBLEM SOLVING AND DECISION MAKING(SKILLED)
• Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
• Stays with a problem or challenge until a solution is reached or no longer reasonably attainable
• Knows when to involve others in a decision
• Demonstrates awareness of the wider external influences that impact on decision making
WORKING EFFECTIVELY WITH OTHERS(SKILLED)
• Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
• Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
• Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
• Clarifies their role and responsibilities within the team to maximize impact Displays consistent excellent judgement.
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE Essential• Extensive experience (minimal 4 years) of Infrastructure engineering in humanitarian or fragile state contexts|
• A degree in civil or architectural engineering, with experience in WASH engineering and hygiene promotion activities and Education projects in an NGO context.
• Experience in Computer Aided Designs like AUTOCAD, ARCHICAD, REVIT ETC is MUST
• Experience in quantity surveying, project design, implementation and evaluation.
• Ability to write clear, well-argued technical assessment and project reports
• Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation
• Excellent communication skills
• Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
• Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
• Commitment to SC’s Child Protection Policy
• Computer literate (ability to use advanced excel)
• A basic level of written and spoken English and Somali
• The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible, and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
• Experience of and ability to represent SC work in external meetings.
• Experience of community mobilisations, distributions and hygiene promotion
• The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible, and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To see a full a job description,
Or Please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs or you can apply directly using the link below:
Application Deadline: The Advert closes on 18-May- 2020
|Date of issue: 29th April, 2020|