Ensure quality, efficient and accountable implementation of civil engineering construction and rehabilitation works implemented by Concern Worldwide. Working with the Senior Construction Engineering Manager, support design, drawing, BoQs and preparation of tenders for Education programme construction works, especially school classrooms and teacher training institute plus related WASH facilities (and other construction projects per request), and act as focal point for contractor oversight to ensure quality implementation. The role holder will have an administrative reporting line to the Mogadishu-based Education PM, will collaborate closely with Concern’s Education team and the Senior Construction Engineering Manager to support clear, accurate and timely communications with relevant key stakeholders including Contractors, Government representatives, and Grant Agents.
Duration: 2 years with a possibility of extension
Grade Grade 7
Job Location: Mogadishu base with regular visits to Gedo, Lower Shabelle and Banadir site locations, and potentially visits per need to other Concern operational areas
Reports to: Senior Construction Engineering Manager
Responsible for: Direct line management of 1 Construction Engineer and 3 Construction Supervisors.
Liaises with: Education Programme Manager (PM) and Deputy PM, other programme PMs per need, Systems Director, Logistics Manager, WASH & Construction Coordinator, Senior WASH Engineer, Grants Manager, MEAL Manager, HR & Admin Manager.
Main duties & Responsibilities:
Technical Management and Quality Assurance
- In coordination with the Senior Construction Engineering Manager and Deputy Education Programme Manager, conduct needs- and technical assessments for planned construction activities.
- Support Senior Construction Engineering Manager in development of accurate and timely designs and BoQs.
- In all construction designs, support to ensuring suitability and accessibility for all targeted population including people living with a disability and females in particular.
- Together with Logistics and Senior Construction Engineer Manager, support contractor procurement processes.
- Develop and lead implementation of a monitoring and quality control system to ensure accountable and timely implementation and achievement of works by Contractors, e.g. through daily, weekly and/or monthly tracking reports, checklists and spot-checks of resource and equipment mobilisation to site, construction activity progress and output milestones; train and ensure quality control of the system and tools’ use by Concern’s site supervisory team.
- Provide inputs to Senior Construction Engineering Manager to ensure construction designs and works are in compliance with existing Government regulations and industry standards.
- Develop weekly work plans for the Education Construction team and ensure sharing by team members of timely feedback on site visit findings, observations and challenges to be addressed timely.
- Report to the Senior Construction Engineering Manager and Deputy Education Programme Manager on contractor and team progress against work schedules, highlighting clearly any deviances and suggesting any appropriate remedial measures to be taken.
- Advise Senior Construction Engineering Manager Coordinator on satisfactory completion of agreed works against contractual milestones, ensuring provision of all necessary supporting documents and certifications.
- Ensure all safety and security measures are in place and are followed by the staff and the contractors on the construction sites.
- Support the Senior Construction Engineering manager to maintain a clear documentation file for all project information including site supervision and follow up reports and GPS mapping.
- Conduct regular site meetings with contractors and/or contractor representatives to be updated on issues, problems, schedules, materials, equipment and overall work activity. Document and file minutes of these, sharing appropriately and ensure timely follow up on issues arising, consulting appropriately with line manager.
- Conduct certification of completed construction works.
Coordination and Representation
- Support effective coordination and collaboration with key stakeholders (contractors, national and local level Government Ministry representatives, community leaders, Clusters and other implementing agencies), representing Concern per request of Manager, to ensure efficient collaboration and coordination for non-duplication of efforts, joint resolution to challenges as appropriate, and collective meeting of affected community priority needs.
- Liaise with national and local level line Ministries and relevant authorities for appropriate and well-informed coordination.
Planning and Reporting
- Provide timely and accurate inputs via the Senior Construction Engineering Manager for internal and donor reporting purposes.
- Draft weekly and monthly activity plans plus clear progress reports on Education construction projects; ensure these reflect contractors’ activities and progress, clearly highlight areas for attention, and timely share with Senior Construction Engineering Manager and Deputy Education Programme Manager.
- Provide prompt updates (by email, skype/phone or in person as most appropriate) to line manager and Education Deputy PM concerning the technical challenges encountered during project implementation and propose feasible solutions for consideration.
- Ensure documentation of good practices and success stories for learning and communication purposes.
- Upon request of line manager, actively engage in collaborative exercises that support development of new projects, including but not limited to evaluations and surveys.
Staff Management and Capacity Building
- Line manage Education Construction team; establish performance objectives and conduct Performance and Development Review (PDR) on annual basis.
- Support recruitment of new staff in the Construction team per need.
- Together with Senior Construction Engineering Manager, develop and roll out written protocols, operating procedures and training materials to continually strengthen Concern’s construction sector interventions.
- Provide technical guidance and transfer technical knowledge to the Construction team, in collaboration with Senior Construction Engineering Manager for continual capacity strengthening of individuals and the team.
- As relevant, support local partners through sharing of tools and knowledge to build capacity for quality and accountable oversight and implementation of construction works.
- Ensure direct reports are aware of and support their adherence to Safety and Security protocols plus relevant Concern organisational policies and guidelines, raising queries and concerns and timely to management.
- At all times uphold the highest stands of accountability through ensuring good communication and information sharing within and outside the programme, supporting awareness at all levels (team, contractors, community, etc) of the Complaints Response Mechanism, and flagging up any areas of concern timely and via appropriate channel (e.g. any suspected breach of contract, code of conduct, programme participant protection policy, child safeguarding policy and anti-fraud policy).
- Collaborate effectively as a member of the broader WASH & Construction team, contributing expertise and experience to support continual development of Concern’s WASH & Construction portfolio.
- Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the line manager or Programme Director, including appropriate involvement in any emergency response if called upon to do so.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Degree in Civil/Building Construction Engineering (or National Higher Diploma with 5 years hands on experience in the construction industry).
- At least 3 years hands-on experience in Project Management of construction activities.
- Solid working experience in the design of infrastructure particularly school buildings and water supply.
- Ability to conduct a detailed structural appraisal, development of tender documentation to include bills of quantities, technical specifications, draft contracts, drawings, and plans.
- Demonstrated understanding of Somalia guidelines, policies and procedures that govern construction activities, including but not limited to building code, mandatory certifications, standard structure designs and specifications, etc.
- Working knowledge of Auto CAD or other construction software as well as GPS mapping.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Experience of expenditure monitoring.
- Experience of staff management and ability to build capacity of a team.
- Strong ability to work on multiple construction contracts in parallel.
- Understanding of safety and security context and considerations in Somalia.
- Working experience of SPHERE Standards and understanding of key Accountability principles (CHS).
- Solid experience in Education infrastructure specifically; prior work on a Teacher Training Institute or other large scale buildings a distinct advantage.
Special Skills, Aptitude or Personality Requirements:
- Strong interpersonal, motivational, communication and coordination skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to spend (potentially extended) periods regularly in operational areas for construction site supervision and stakeholder meetings, including within Mogadishu, Lower Shabelle, Gedo, other areas on request.
- Good team player, flexible and capable of working effectively with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels to achieve common objectives.
- Excellent coaching, facilitation and capacity-building skills.
- Willingness to learn and adapt to changing needs and operational contexts, based on understanding of on-the-ground realities, constraints and opportunities.
- Empathy with Concern Worldwide goals and a commitment, accountability, participation and gender equality.
How to apply
How to Apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements should submit their applications (cover letter, updated CV and contacts of 3 professional referees) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Deputy Construction Manager” by Saturday, 18th July 2020.**
ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written test and interview.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.**
Concern has Code of Conduct (CCoC) and its associated policies*, which has been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants, especially beneficiaries, from abuse and exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, partner organisations, and anyone engaged by Concern or visiting our programmes, and the standards of behaviour expected of them. In this context all Concern staff have a responsibility to the organisation to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct of their work in accordance with Concern’s core values and mission.*
Any candidate offered a job with Concern will be expected to sign the Programme Participant Protection Policy and Concern Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment. By signing the Programme Participant Protection Policy and the Concern Code of Conduct candidates demonstrate they have understood its content and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of this document.
Any breach of the Programme Participant Protection Policy and Concern Code of Conduct by employees of Concern during the course of their employment will result in disciplinary action up to, and including, dismissal