Position Title: Data Analysis/ Knowledge Management & Communications Officer
Duty station:Baidoa (With Travels to Mogadishu)
Position Status Full-time,
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been present in Somalia since 2005, responding to emergency needs stemming from conflict and displacement, while continuing work to build more resilient, peaceful, and productive communities in Puntland, Somaliland, Banadir, South West State, Hirshabelle, Galmudug and Jubaland. Mercy Corps Somalia also collaborates with Mercy Corps teams and partners in neighbouring countries to implement multi-country and cross-border programs. Working with a diverse base of donors that includes the USAID/OFDA, GIZ, UNHCR, ECHO, WFP, SSF, EAC, LDS and other foundations and institutional donors, Mercy Corps empowers people to recover from crisis, build better lives and transform their communities for good. We work closely with the private sector, civil society and governance structures at local and national levels to facilitate change and ensure that opportunities are inclusive of all Somalis.
The international community has awoken to the reality that the traditional aid architecture is largely incapable of delivering solutions to today’s humanitarian crises and that new ways of working are required. Yet the “how” of action that will drive lasting results for peace and wellbeing in protracted crisis contexts like Somalia has remained largely elusive. The Baidoa Resilience Partnership, launched in 2018 by USAID, positioned USAID as thought leaders in this space, promoting resilience as a collective imperative that transcends traditional funding, program, and sector siloes to advance pragmatic solutions to the world’s most pernicious challenges.
Mercy Corps is seeking foData Analysis/ Knowledge Management & Communications Officer for Somalia Resilience Learning Activity (RLA), a two-year opportunity funded by USAID. As a largely autonomous component of a larger regional learning award lead by ACDI/VOCA, the Somalia RLA is designed to leverage USAID’s previous investments in the Baidoa Resilience Partnership to advance collaboration, learning, and adapting (CLA) across actors and funding streams for sustained reductions in humanitarian need. Through the Somalia RLA, Mercy Corps will work closely with USAID, implementing partners, and other stakeholders to collectively analyze what they do and how they do it, surfacing findings to enable the replication and amplification of promising practices within and beyond Baidoa, enhancing USAID and other donor’s return on investment in Somalia.
General Position Summary
Data Analysis/ Knowledge Management & Communications Officer will manage the program-level M&E plan for the Somalia-component of the RLA. S/he will work with USAID/ACDI VOCCA to identify innovative ways to identify and capture program outcomes and impact, including the replication of promising practices outside the immediate program area of Bay/Bakool. S/he will be responsible data collection through program monitoring to informs decision-making and adaptive management. s/he will also be responbsie for identificatin and promotion of innovative solutions to capture, maintenance, and communication of knowledge between partners.S/he will promote promising practices beyond Bay/Bakool through media platforms and other channels; amplify the visibility of the Somalia Resilience Platform through media and other channels. S/he will support in the coordination, design, and delivery of meetings, workshops, learning events.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Project Monitoring and Evaluation
- Manage the program-level M&E plan for the Somalia-component of the RLA; work with USAID & ACDI/VOCCAto identify innovative ways to identify and capture program outcomes and impact, including the replication of promising practices outside the immediate program area of Bay/Bakool.
- Work with core team to ensure data collected through program monitoring informs decision-making and adaptive management of the Activity.
- Identify and promote innovative solutions for improving the capture, maintenance, and communication of knowledge between partners.
- Contribute to designing & development of tools for capturing data and conducting complex analysis
- Promote promising practices beyond Bay/Bakool through media platforms and other channels
- Provide support in the coordination, design, and delivery of meetings, workshops, learning events, etc.
- Participate on survey design, questionnaires and ODK applications to collect, store and analyze data collected
- Implement routine data quality spot check field visits to check the accuracy of reported data and the correct use of data collection tools.
- Review project and other partners reports by extracting and synthesizing performance data and use the same undertake further analysis.
Communication and knowledge management
- Serve as the program knowledge management focal point in coordination with PM & MEAL Manager. He/she will be working closely and in collaboration with all partners in the promotion and dissemination of advocacy materials relating to the Program objectives ;
- Development/production of communication and advocacy instruments and materials for creating visibility of the program and organize awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases as and when required by the program in coordination with the PM and MEAL Manger;
- Conducting communications needs assessments for RLA program to design effective communication strategies;
- Promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on program activities under the supervision of the PM and MEAL Manager ;
- Facilitate the project team to document lessons learned through case studies and other methods such as most significant change
- Coordination, identification, development and dissemination of knowledge products and lessons learned;
- Amplify the visibility of the Somalia Resilience Platform through media and other channels
- Timely and effective responses to inquiries for public information materials.
- Liaise with project partners, key project staff, and local service providers to build a strong bridge for the exchange of information and incorporate the project’s learning, results and findings into the overall communications and outreach activities of the project.
PROGRAM SUPPORT OPERATIONS
- Ensure close communication with operational support structures to ensure efficient support for the assessment and strategy process.
- Coordinate with program, finance, and administration staff for troubleshooting and problem solving.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO PARTNERS
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically
to our partners and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging participant communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Directly to the RLA Team leader/managerand Indirectly to the Director of Programs (Somalia)
Works Directly With: RLA Manger, MEAL manager/communications, ACDI/VOCCA
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in relief/development programming.
- Demonstrated experience in determining appropriate KM processes, products, and ICT enabled platforms.
- Demonstrated systems thinker; familiarity with the concepts of CLA/SLI.
- Ability to gain consensus and cooperation from individuals or groups– over whom there is no direct authority–to accomplish collective objectives and program goals
- Ability to use computer systems and effectively organize information on internal and external sites, cloud-based systems and social media.
- Strong roots and networks in South West State and intimate understanding of the political economy.
- Excellent communication skills in English and Somali
A successful candidate will have the capacity to undertake complex research, carryout detailed analysis using varied tools and software. S/he should have strong writing skills to articulate complex ideas to wide range of audience, build and manage relationships with different stakeholders, and lead collaborative design processes. S/he takes initiative for coordinating and planning tasks and work plans and is equally comfortable and capable of working independently and as part of a team. The Livestock Market Assessment Officer will have the ability to easily forge and maintain professional relationships with team members, communities and partners. S/he is deeply curious, with an appetite for learning and takes responsibility for keeping him/herself up-to-date on research and promising practices, and for engaging with key networks in the resilience field.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in (Baidoa) and it requires up to 5% travel to selected field locations.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/STA to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications through https://www.mercycorps.org/careers/national only shortlisted candidates will be contacted