THIS POSITION IS ONLY FOR qualified Somali expatriate
- Position title: Consultant Pediatrician and Neonatologist
- Duty Station: Garowe General Hospital; Garowe, Puntland
- Duration of Assignment: 12 months
- Deadline for applications: 25 December 2019
- Ideal candidate: qualified Somali expatriate only
About MIDA FINNSOM Phase II
The Migration for Development in Africa (MIDA) Somalia programme supports the mobilization of resources and expertise of the Somali diaspora to contribute to the stabilization and development of Somalia, while ensuring that skills and knowledge are transferred to the host institutions and retained by local staff once the diaspora experts complete their assignments.
MIDA FINNSOM Phase II – Health and Education Project is funded by the Government of Finland, the project aims to facilitate the transfer of skills, competencies and knowledge of qualified Somali expatriates to public institutions in Somalia, with a focus on two sectors, namely health and education. The beneficiary institution Garowe General Hospital will host the qualified Somali expatriate, and will be responsible to provide a safe and secure work environment. Garowe General Hospital & IOM Somalia MIDA staff will monitor the expatriate while on assignment.
About the Ministry of Health, Puntland
Puntland State is an autonomous member state of Federal Republic of Somalia; Garowe is the Capital City of the State. Geographically, Puntland is situated on North East of Federal Republic of Somalia (FRS); its population is roughly estimated around 4 million inhabitants.
Ministry of Health of Puntland is the authority responsible for health care administration; it controls preventive and curative services across the State. Major referral Hospitals include: Garowe General Hospital (GGH), Bosaso General Hospital and Galkayo Regional Hospital.
Puntland Ministry of Health is putting its efforts on capacity building and enhancement of knowledge for its staff to improve quality of services by repatriating qualified Somali expatriates of different specialties in the medical field (doctors and nurses). In this regard the Ministry relies on its resources and support from international organizations and projects such as IOM MIDA FINNSOM.
Garowe General Hospital is a referral and teaching hospital for various parts of the State and sometimes beyond its borders. Therefore, it is essential to develop the hospital’s services and to upgrade the skills and knowledge of the health care providers to benefit the community.
One of the major challenges in Garowe General Hospital include diagnosis and treatment more serious medical conditions, such as autoimmune disorders and managing medical conditions effecting infants, children and young people.
Neonatologists generally diagnose and treat newborns with conditions such as breathing disorders,
infections, and birth defects and work mainly in the special-care nurseries or newborn intensive care units of hospitals.
The consultant Pediatrician and Neonatologist, would thus, relief the burden on the hospital and provide service to the community as well as building capacity and knowledge of the hospital staff in pediatrics and neonatology.
Activities / Key Results Expected
- To set up outpatient clinic for Pediatrician disorders.
- Trains on the job to local medical and nurse staff.
- Establishes policy and procedures (Guidelines) for diagnosis and management.
- Performing neurosurgical operations.
- Providing lectures to University medical students as well as the hospital staff
- Provides care in-patients in the ward.
- Accepts consultations and referrals from other Hospitals in Puntland and beyond.
Besides the specific outputs mentioned in section IV, the MIDA programme requires the following steps/actions to be undertaken throughout the assignment. These are standard requirements for alL assignments:
- Transfer of skills: One of the main responsibilities of the Somali diaspora participant, and one which he/she will be measured against, will be to ensure continuous and systematic transfer of knowledge and skills as related to the assignment. It will have to be agreed with the beneficiary Ministry/institution which civil servants will benefit from this knowledge.
- Work plan: A work plan will have to be developed with the Supervisor during the first week of assignment which will provide clear and time bound activities to be implemented in order to achieve the expected outputs of the assignment. This work plan will be shared with the MIDA Project Assistant. The work plan can be revised during the mid-term review to reflect new developments or changes in strategy.
- Mid Term Review: there will be a mid-term review of the assignment between the incumbent and the beneficiary Ministry/ institution to discuss progress of the assignment and feedback on performance.
- Interim and Final Reports: Progress reports will be submitted by the incumbent to the Supervisor and to the MIDA Project Assistant. Thereafter a final report will be provided at the end of assignment.
- Level of Education: Postgraduate, Masters or PhD
- Area of Study: Pediatrician/Neonatology
- Years of work experience in what area(s): 5 years of post-graduate experience preferred.
- Languages needed: English and Somali
General skills / Other Requirements:
- Good communication skills.
- Good public relations and teamwork skills.
- Training experience.
- Excellent psychiatrist skills.
- Good computer skills.
Security and Insurance Modalities
Health insurance, including evacuation due to medical emergency, will be provided by the project. However, experts will be requested to provide a recent medical certificate stating that they are physically well and apt to work in a hardship area in Africa. Please note that IOM, according to the contract, will not be responsible for the security of the qualified Somali expatriates. The host Ministry/ institution will be responsible for the security of the individual.
Before leaving the country of residence and upon arrival in Somalia, the qualified Somali expatriate will receive a pre-departure briefing including security advice and cultural background.
To apply please send your CV (with two professional references including their email and phone number) and a cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF format is preferred. Kindly write: Pediatrician/ Garowe General Hospital in the subject field of the email when sending the application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.