COUNTRY: Puntland State of Somalia (PSS)
NAME OF PROJECT: Somalia Domestic Revenue Mobilization and Public Financial Management Capacity Strengthening Project – Phase II
PROJECT ID: P151492 Grant No.: TF-A0388
ASSIGNMENT TITLE: Legal Expert Consultant for the Office of the Auditor General,
REFERENCE No. SO-MOF-PL-106432-CS-INDV
PLACE OF ASSIGNMENT: Garowe, Puntland, Somalia
The Puntland State of Somalia has received additional financing from The World Bank through the Ministry of Finance (MoF) toward the cost of Somalia Domestic Revenue Mobilization and Public Financial Management Capacity Strengthening Project II.
The Office Auditor General is the Supreme Audit Institution (SAI) of Puntland State of Somalia and is desirous to comply with the International Standards of Supreme Audit Institutions (ISSAI) in good standing. According to international best practice and standards, the SAI is supposed to be and should be seen to be independent (operationally, financially and functionally) of the executive arm of government.
The Ministry of Finance intends to apply part of the proceeds of the Grant to hire an Individual Consultant to provide technical assistance to identify strengths and weaknesses of current processes and provides feedback to the OAG in prioritizing actions needed to strengthen and streamline current audit methodologies, policies and procedures.
Under the overall guidance of the Office of the Auditor General, Puntland State of Somalia, the legal consultant will be responsible for:
- i) draft a new public audit bill that replaces the current one and complies in all respective with International Organization of Supreme Audit Institutions (INTOSAI) requirements; (ii) compose appropriate legal texts for the changes in the constitution, if required to ensure the draft audit bill is consistent with the constitution; (iii) develop the appropriate policies and procedures to operationalize the new pubic audit law; (iv) draft a new public audit bill to ensure the Auditor General’s mandate complies with the requirements of INTOSAI;(v) draft the OAG rules and regulations to operationalize for the future new Public Audit Bill;(vi) develop key audit policies and operational documents such as Audit Charter and Audit Manual and all other specific tasks detailed in in the Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment that can be found at the following website: http://mofpuntland.comor can be provided upon submission of application in person or by e-mail. The email address is: Procurement@mof.plstate.so
- Selection Criteria:
Selection shall be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
Master’s Degree in Law or other related subjects with a minimum of 10 years post qualification experience; Good experience in the field of public audit;
Proven experience in drafting public audit laws, SAI’s rules and regulations and developing related policies and procedures as well; Experience in managing major reform and modernization projects; as well as a sound understanding of Audit policies and procedures; Strong knowledge of legal provisions and best practices relating to legislative review processes; In-depth practical knowledge of the country’s legal system. Analyses complex technical and legal materials and makes concise relevant recommendations; Contributes reliable production of legal knowledge products; Demonstrated experience working with governments of developing countries including fragile and conflict-affected states, experience working in Somalia is an advantage; Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate orally, and in writing in English
- Duration: The duration for the assignment is 180 days,
- 5. The Ministry of Finance now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested Individual Consultants must submit their Curriculum Vitae (CV) and cover letter indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14, 3.16 and 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and revised in November 2017 and August 2018, (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants Selection method set out in the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations.
- Mode of submission of Applications and deadline:
Interested applicants may obtain further information including a detailed Terms of Reference at from the Ministry in person or by e-mail to the address given below during office hours from 9.00 a.m.– 4.00 p.m. Garowe time (excluding public holiday).
Expressions of interest (EOI) and CV must be delivered (in person or by e-mail) in a written form in four (4) hard copies (if not by e-mail) to the address below by 27th October 2019 at 11:00 am (Garowe Time). Marked clearly as – Legal Expert Consultant of Office Auditor General
Attention: Public Financial Management Reform Coordination Unit, Ministry of Finance, Garowe, Puntland State of Somalia
Email: Email: Procurement@mof.plstate.so and copy firstname.lastname@example.org
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.